What is the acceleration of the masses in this physics homework problem?

In summary, there is a problem involving three blocks connected by strings with different masses and a hanging pulley. The goal is to find the acceleration of the masses shown in the figure. The equations to solve this problem involve identifying the forces on each mass and applying Newton's 2nd law for each mass. The final equation is m3g=a(m1+m2+m3), which can be solved for "a."
jbgibson
I think someone may have previously asked for help on a problem similar to this one:

There are three blocks connected by a string. m1 is 0.5kg, m2 is 1.7kg.
m1, and m2 are connected at the top of a surface and m3=2.9kg, is hanging of the end of a pulley. looks kinda like this:

[ m1 ]----[ m2 ]-----O
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [m3]

a) find the acceleration of the masses shown in the figure.

I realize that the only force acting on m1: F=T= m1a, and I think the force acting on m3: m3g-T=m3a. I am cofused about what to do with m2. Any help is greatly appreciated.

JB Gibson:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Realize that each piece of string--the one between m1 & m2 and the one between m2 & m3--will have a different tension.

Doc Al said:
Realize that each piece of string--the one between m1 & m2 and the one between m2 & m3--will have a different tension.

Would I be correct in my assumptions:
F12=T12=a(m1+m2)
F23=m3g-T23=m3a

m3g = a
m1+m2+m3

I don't understand what you've done. Try this approach:
(1) Identify the forces on each mass
(2) Write Newton's 2nd law for each mass

You'll get three equations that you can solve together. Hint: Assume that the acceleration is "a" to the right and down.

Doc Al said:
I don't understand what you've done. Try this approach:
(1) Identify the forces on each mass
(2) Write Newton's 2nd law for each mass

You'll get three equations that you can solve together. Hint: Assume that the acceleration is "a" to the right and down.

That's where my confusion begins! How do I derive these equations? I thought I was ok on the first and last equations, but evidently not. The first and last equations are as follows:

F1=T=m1a
F3=m3g-T=m3a

Thaks for all the help!

jbgibson said:
F1=T=m1a
F3=m3g-T=m3a
As I mentioned earlier, the tensions on the strings are different. I'd write these two equations like this:
[tex]T_1 = m_1 a[/tex]

[tex]m_3 g - T_2 = m_3 a[/tex]

Now write the equation for the second mass.

Doc Al said:
As I mentioned earlier, the tensions on the strings are different. I'd write these two equations like this:
[tex]T_1 = m_1 a[/tex]

[tex]m_3 g - T_2 = m_3 a[/tex]

Now write the equation for the second mass.

I'm having a hard time deriving the equation for the second mass. I'm not sure what to do. I know that the gravitational force and the normal force cancels out, and you're left with the tension force and the friction force. How do you apply this information?

Unless the problem states otherwise, assume the surfaces are frictionless. (If friction is involved, you'll need to include friction in the equations for both m1 and m2.)

So all you need to worry about are the two tension forces that act on m2. Give it a shot.

Doc Al said:
Unless the problem states otherwise, assume the surfaces are frictionless. (If friction is involved, you'll need to include friction in the equations for both m1 and m2.)
So all you need to worry about are the two tension forces that act on m2. Give it a shot.

Let me get this straight! Here are my equations:

T1=m1a
T2=m2a-m1a
m3g-T2=m3a

Just a guess for clarification. Thanks again!

Last edited:
jbgibson said:
Let me get this straight! Here are my equations:
T1=m1a
T2=m2a-m1a
m3g-T2=m3a
You still haven't got the correct equation for m2. Answer these questions:
(1) What horizontal forces act on m2?
(2) What's the net force on m2?
Now apply Newton's 2nd law ([itex]F_{net} = m a[/itex]) to mass 2.

To make things a little clearer, I guess I need to know what is the equation for m2. I not asking anyone to do the problem for me or derive any solutions. I just don't see the 2nd equation!

Doc Al said:
You still haven't got the correct equation for m2. Answer these questions:
(1) What horizontal forces act on m2?
(2) What's the net force on m2?
Now apply Newton's 2nd law ([itex]F_{net} = m a[/itex]) to mass 2.

I think I get it! Correct me if I'm wrong:

T1=m1a
T2-T1=m2a
m3g-T2=m2a

This would leave me with a final equation of:

m3g=a(m1+m2+m3)

and now I would solve for "a"

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Now you're cooking!

(You did have a typo in your third equation.)

Thanks Doc for all of the help and letting me do the problem. I'm grateful for the help!

Related to What is the acceleration of the masses in this physics homework problem?

1. What is the purpose of "Physics Homework Problem"?

The purpose of "Physics Homework Problem" is to assess your understanding of the concepts and principles of physics covered in class. It also helps you practice problem-solving skills and critical thinking.

2. How do I approach a "Physics Homework Problem"?

The first step is to carefully read and analyze the problem, making sure you understand what is being asked. Then, identify the relevant concepts and equations that can be used to solve the problem. Finally, plug in the given values and solve for the unknown variable.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a "Physics Homework Problem"?

If you get stuck, take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh mind. You can also try re-reading the problem or asking a classmate or your teacher for help. It's important to not get frustrated and keep trying different approaches until you find the solution.

4. Is it okay to use online resources to help me with "Physics Homework Problem"?

Yes, it is okay to use online resources such as videos, tutorials, and forums to help you with "Physics Homework Problem". However, make sure to credit any sources that you use and do not rely solely on them. It's important to understand the concepts and solve the problem on your own.

5. How can I check if my answer to a "Physics Homework Problem" is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equations and making sure it satisfies all the given conditions. You can also compare your answer with classmates or ask your teacher for confirmation. It's important to double-check your work to avoid any mistakes.