What is probability and how does it relate to precalculus?

In summary, probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring and is represented as a ratio of favorable outcomes to total outcomes. It ranges from 0 to 1, with 0 representing impossibility and 1 representing certainty. A simple example is rolling a die and getting an even number, with a probability of 1/2. Additionally, the probability of an event not occurring can be calculated by subtracting the probability of it occurring from 1. Further questions about probability can be addressed as they arise.
mathdad
Most students struggle with probability because questions usually involve FUZZY word problems. I am reviewing precalculus right now. In the later chapters of precalculus, a touch of probability is introduced.

Can someone explain the basics of probability? I know, for example, that all probabilities fall between 0 and 1, which means all probabilities are fractions. What is probability? I need a simple definition with maybe one or two basic problems.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A probability is a measure of the likelihood of some event taking place. It is the ratio of the number of favorable outcomes divided by the number of total outcomes. A probability of 0 means the event is impossible, while a probability of 1 mean the event is certain.

For example, suppose we wish to compute the probability that when rolling a six-sided die, we will get an even number. Since there are 3 faces with even numbers, and 6 total faces, we would give the probability as 3/6 = 1/2. If we label the event X then it is standard to denote this as:

P(X) = 1/2

Suppose we call event Y getting an odd number...now we could easily compute this directly, but I want to highlight a useful technique in the study of probability for computing otherwise difficult probabilities. We could reason that it is certain we will either get an even number or an odd number...mathematically this is:

P(X) + P(Y) = 1

Hence:

P(Y) = 1 - P(X) = 1 - 1/2 = 1/2

There is much more to probability, but it would be better to deal with those questions as they arise. :D

Of course, I will continue with precalculus questions and post probability in this forum from time to time.

Related to What is probability and how does it relate to precalculus?

What is basic probability idea?

Basic probability idea is a mathematical concept that deals with the likelihood of an event occurring. It is the foundation of statistics and is used to predict and analyze the outcomes of various events.

What is the difference between probability and chance?

Probability is a numerical measure of the likelihood of an event occurring, while chance refers to the possibility of an event occurring. Probability is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as P(A) = number of favorable outcomes / total number of possible outcomes.

What is the role of sample space in probability?

Sample space is the set of all possible outcomes of an event. It helps to define the scope of an event and is used to calculate the probability of an event occurring.

What are the two types of probability?

The two types of probability are theoretical probability, which is based on mathematical calculations, and experimental probability, which is based on observed outcomes from experiments or data.