What is Plasma Flow? Explaining & Understanding

In summary, the chosen scientific report discusses the relationship between plasma flow and electric fields. Through mathematical models and the law of conservation, it is found that plasma flow can produce an electric field. However, explaining what a plasma flow is can be challenging. One way to understand it is by comparing it to wind, but it is an electrically conductive form of matter. In order to fully understand plasma flow, it is important to also understand what plasma is.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
I am going to presenting on a scientific report and the report that I choose (this can still change) is the following: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2001GL013014/pdf

In this report, they ask the question of what produces what?
Does plasma flow produce an electric field?
or
Does an electric field produce a plasma flow?

In it, they find that a plasma flow produces an electric field using mathematical models and support it with the law of conservation.

But, I have to dumb this report down. I wanted to explain what an electric field is and what a plasma flow is. There's a ton of information out there on the electric field, but when I try to find or ask myself what a plasma flow is all I can think about is the sun and the flow that it observes.

Link:

So, if you were trying to explain what plasma flow is, how would you? Is there any links of info you have on it?

Any suggestions for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just like the wind blowing, only it's a plasma instead of air and is electrically conductive.

Likes RJLiberator
Okay, so let me ask this:

Plasma Flow : Really, to understand what this means, you need to know what plasma is. So I can start by reading the Plasma (physics) wikipedia.

We see that it is electrically conductive so it is able to conduct an electric current.
This goes with the article I'm reading as a plasma flow can generate an electric field, however, an electric field (on its own) can not generate a plasma flow.

I'm all good here ?

Related to What is Plasma Flow? Explaining & Understanding

1. What is plasma flow?

Plasma flow refers to the movement of charged particles, also known as plasma, through a medium such as air or gas. Plasma is a state of matter that is created when a gas is heated to extremely high temperatures, causing the atoms to break apart into ions and electrons.

2. How is plasma flow different from liquid or gas flow?

Plasma flow is different from liquid or gas flow because it involves the movement of charged particles, while liquid and gas flow involve the movement of neutral particles. Plasma flow also has unique properties, such as the ability to conduct electricity and respond to magnetic fields.

3. What are some applications of plasma flow?

Plasma flow has a wide range of applications, including in plasma cutting and welding, plasma propulsion for spacecraft, and in plasma TVs and other electronic devices. It is also being studied for potential uses in medical treatments and environmental remediation.

4. How is plasma flow created?

Plasma flow can be created in various ways, such as through the use of electric and magnetic fields, lasers, or intense heat. In some cases, plasma flow occurs naturally, such as in lightning and the aurora borealis.

5. What are the challenges in studying and controlling plasma flow?

Studying and controlling plasma flow can be challenging due to the high temperatures and densities involved, as well as the complex interactions between particles. Researchers also face the difficulty of creating and maintaining stable plasma flow for extended periods of time. Additionally, the potential applications of plasma flow often require advanced technologies and materials.