What is my future after studying Theoretical Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the ambitions of an Italian high-schooler who loves physics and plans to study it in university. The individual is currently uncertain about which specific field of physics to pursue and has questions about what a physicist does after graduating and where to find a job. A fellow forum member suggests checking out a featured thread with information about becoming a physicist and potential job opportunities. The advice given is to focus on the present rather than worry too much about the future, as interests may change.
Maurohata
Hi everybody!
I'm an Italian high-schooler (but I'm living in California for an exchange year) and I love Physics. I decided kinda 6 years ago that I was going to study Physics at the University, and only now I started deciding the field of physics (but I'm still not sure if Cosmology, Astrophysics and Fundamental Interactions). My big question is: after my 5 years of university, studying what I love, and my PhD, what will I do? What does a physicist do after graduating? Where do you find a job? My ideal job would be in the field of research, but I would appreciate whatever job uses my physics skills to improve the human knowledge of the universe itself.
Yes, I'm a little bit ambitious, but that's my question!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look to our featured threads section, Zapperz has written up an excellent roadmap for becoming a physicist from high school onward. Job wise the most typical one would be a professor teaching your topic in a university or college. The next most likely job would be working at a think tank, observatory or lab doing theoretical research.

The thing to keep in mind though is that your interests may change and you may want to become something else altogether so I'd focus on what you need to do now rather than worry so far in advance.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate thins help. And I'll totally follow your advice. Can you post here the link of the thread roadmap thing, I can't find it? Thanks.

Related to What is my future after studying Theoretical Physics?

1. What career options are available for me after studying Theoretical Physics?

There are a variety of career paths available for those who study Theoretical Physics. Some common options include working as a research scientist in a university or government lab, teaching at the college level, or pursuing a career in the private sector in industries such as technology, finance, or engineering.

2. Is it necessary to have a graduate degree in order to have a successful career in Theoretical Physics?

While having a graduate degree can be beneficial, it is not always necessary for a successful career in Theoretical Physics. Many successful physicists have only a bachelor's degree, but it may be more difficult to find certain research or teaching positions without a graduate degree.

3. Is there a high demand for Theoretical Physics in the job market?

The demand for Theoretical Physicists may vary depending on the specific field and industry, but overall, there is a high demand for individuals with strong analytical and problem-solving skills, which are developed through studying Theoretical Physics. With the increasing use of technology and data in various industries, the demand for Theoretical Physicists is expected to continue to grow.

4. Can studying Theoretical Physics lead to a career in other fields besides physics?

Yes, studying Theoretical Physics can open up opportunities in a variety of fields besides physics. The skills and knowledge gained through studying Theoretical Physics, such as critical thinking, data analysis, and mathematical modeling, are highly transferable and can be applied to fields such as engineering, computer science, finance, and more.

5. What skills and qualities do I need to succeed in Theoretical Physics?

To succeed in Theoretical Physics, you will need to have a strong background in mathematics and physics, as well as excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. Attention to detail, critical thinking, and the ability to think abstractly are also important qualities for a successful career in this field. Additionally, good communication skills and the ability to work well in a team are beneficial for collaboration and presenting research findings.