What is inverse transformation?

In summary, a transformation is a function that transforms one variable into another, and in linear algebra, it typically refers to a linear transformation. The terms "direct" and "inverse" transformation can refer to the original function and its inverse, or vice versa. A generating function is a function that has a specific relationship with a sequence of numbers. Wilf's "Generatingfunctionology" is a good book on generating functions, while Yaglom's "Geometric Transformations" is a good book on transformations suitable for high school students.
aggarwal
please explain the terms with example:----Transformation,direct transformation,inverse transformation,genreating function

Physics news on Phys.org
A transformation, in general, is just a function: y= f(x) "transforms" x to y. In linear algebra at least, a transformation usually means a linear transformation: f(ax+ by)= af(x)+ bf(y). I don't you can use the terms "direct" and "inverse" transformation without more specification. If I start with the transformation f, then its inverse function, f-1(x) is its "inverse transformation" and I guess one would call f the "direct transformation". Of course, one could as easily think of g(x)=f-1(x) as the "direct transformation" and its inverse, g-1(x)= f(x), would be its "inverse transformation".

I don't see what "generating function" has to do with a "transformation".

In general, if you have a sequence of numbers (such as the moments of a probability distribution), then the generating function is the function whose Taylor series has those numbers as coefficients.

just read your book.

thanks a lot....

sorry, it seemed appropriate. maybe if you ask a more precise question that is not specifically answerted in every text, i could help more.

did you actually follow my suggestion, i.e.read your book? if so, where did you get stuck?

Suggest two books

A good book on generating functions is Wilf, Generatingfunctionology, although I feel the "exponential family" stuff is a terrible idea since it utterly obscures what is really going on with the stuff, wreath product and properties of the Joyal cycle index of a structor (aka combintorial species).

Inquiry about direct and inverse transformations plus failure to cite sources in an PF inquiry suggests a certain lack of "mathematical maturity" (to avoid appearance of sarcasm I should perhaps point out that "mathematical maturity" is a commonly used term in mathematics pedagogy at the university level), so Wilf may be too advanced for the OP. However, a good book written for bright high school students (!) on transformations is Yaglom, Geometric Transformations.

Last edited:

Related to What is inverse transformation?

1. What is an inverse transformation?

An inverse transformation is a mathematical operation that reverses the effects of another transformation. It is used to retrieve the original data from a transformed dataset.

2. How is an inverse transformation calculated?

The calculation of an inverse transformation depends on the specific transformation being used. In general, it involves applying the inverse function to each individual data point in the transformed dataset.

3. Why is an inverse transformation useful?

An inverse transformation is useful because it allows us to interpret and analyze data in its original form. It also helps to reduce bias and improve the accuracy of statistical analyses.

4. What are some common examples of inverse transformations?

Square root, logarithm, and power transformations are some common examples of inverse transformations. These are used to transform data that follows a non-linear pattern into a more linear form for analysis.

5. Can an inverse transformation be applied to any dataset?

No, an inverse transformation should only be applied to data that has been transformed using a one-to-one function. This means that each data point in the transformed dataset should have a unique corresponding point in the original dataset.