What is Information Flow in Bayesian Networks?

In summary, the conversation discusses the generalization of information theory to Bayesian networks where each directed edge is viewed as a noiseless channel. The concept of information flow from one variable to another in a Bayesian network is introduced, and the idea of deleting edges to calculate this flow is explored. The main question is whether information flow in a Bayesian network is an established subject in information theory and, if not, how to develop it further.
mXSCNT
Usually in information theory (at least the introductory version I have learned) one is concerned with the amount of information transmitted over a single channel, from point A to point B. Suppose that this is generalized to a Bayesian network, where each directed edge of the network is viewed as a noiseless channel that transmits information about its start point to its end point. For example, consider the following network:
Code:
A --> B
A is uniform over {0,1}, B is another random variable over {0,1} where P(B=0|A=0)=0.1 and P(B=0|A=1)=0.5. At B, we wish to determine as much as we can about the value of A, based on our observation of B. One might call this the information that flowed over the edge from A to B, and can be viewed as the reduction in uncertainty of A, given B: I(A;B) = H(A)-H(A|B).

However, it's not as clear when you ask different questions. How much information flowed from B to A? I(A;B) = I(B;A) is not zero, but due to the direction of the edge, no information could have flowed from B to A; we are simply able to infer B based on A. Suppose we have this network instead:
Code:
A --> B
 \--> C
No information could have flowed from B to C because there is no path from B to C, but I(B;D) is nonzero. Or this network:
Code:
A ------> C
 \--> B --^
Some information flows from B to C along the edge (B,C). But I(B;C) is greater than that, because B also tells us about A, which indirectly tells us about C, although A->B->C is not a valid path.

One thing one could do is to define the information flow between two variables in a Bayesian network, from A to B, as I(A';B') where A',B' are the corresponding random variables in the network from which all edges not reachable from B have been deleted. Deleting an edge (Xi,Xj) consists of replacing P(Xi | Xj, ...) with P(Xi | ...). However, I'm having trouble deriving any identities about this. Specifically I want to write flow(A,B) in terms of flow(A,R) and flow(R,B) where R is a parent of B. I can do this but it does not look nice. One useful identity in this process is [tex]P(B=b | A=a) = \sum_{r \in R} P(R=r | A=a) P(B=b | R=r)[/tex] if R is the only parent of B and there is a path from A to B. This identity can be extended to more than one parent by letting R be the Cartesian product of all parents.

Is information flow in a Bayesian network an established subject in information theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
If so, what are the main concepts and identities? If not, is there a way to make this idea more rigorous and develop some identities?

Related to What is Information Flow in Bayesian Networks?

What is network information flow?

Network information flow is the study of how data, or information, is transmitted through a network of interconnected nodes. It involves understanding how data is encoded, routed, and decoded as it travels through a network.

Why is network information flow important?

Network information flow is important because it helps us understand how data is transmitted and received in various types of networks, such as computer networks, communication networks, and social networks. It also plays a crucial role in the design and optimization of these networks.

What are the different types of network information flow?

There are two main types of network information flow: unicast and multicast. Unicast involves sending data from one source to one destination, while multicast involves sending data from one source to multiple destinations simultaneously.

How is network information flow measured?

Network information flow is measured using various metrics, such as throughput, delay, and capacity. Throughput measures the amount of data that can be transmitted in a given time period, while delay measures the time it takes for data to travel from the source to the destination. Capacity measures the maximum amount of data that can be transmitted through the network.

What are some real-world applications of network information flow?

Network information flow has many real-world applications, including internet routing, wireless sensor networks, content distribution networks, and social media networks. It is also used in various industries, such as telecommunications, transportation, and finance, to improve network efficiency and performance.