What is Dark Matter and Dark Energy?

In summary, Arnendu is a high school student who is confused about dark energy, dark matter, and negative mass. He is seeking help to better understand these concepts. However, while there are articles available on dark matter and dark energy, negative mass is more complicated and not fully understood. It is not possible to create a particle with negative mass.
Aero_Arnendu
Hello Friends,
I, Arnendu Barman, is a high school last year student. I have much confusion in Dark Energy and Dark Matter. Actually I do not understand them and I also have problem on Negative Mass.
So friend please help me . Thank you...

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Give the following two articles a read and see if they help. Note that dark matter and dark energy are not related. They both simply share the word 'dark' in their name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy

Negative mass is more problematic to discuss. Purely negative mass isn't known to exist, but the term can be used in situations where the mass of something is 'taken as negative' simply as a comparison to another state.

Can you tell me how to make a particle that has negative mass ?

Such a thing is not possible.

Hi Arnendu:
At this time no one knows what dark matter and dark energy are. We can talk about what properties they might have, or even must have, but that is all.

Related to What is Dark Matter and Dark Energy?

What is Dark Matter?

Dark matter is a hypothetical form of matter that makes up approximately 85% of the total mass of the universe. It does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to traditional telescopes. Its existence is inferred from its gravitational effects on visible matter.

What is Dark Energy?

Dark energy is a mysterious force that is thought to make up approximately 70% of the total energy in the universe. Its existence is inferred from the observed accelerating expansion of the universe. Unlike dark matter, dark energy does not interact with matter or radiation, making it even more elusive and difficult to study.

What is the difference between Dark Matter and Dark Energy?

The main difference between dark matter and dark energy is their effects on the universe. Dark matter is responsible for the formation of large-scale structures such as galaxies, while dark energy is thought to be the driving force behind the expansion of the universe. Dark matter interacts with other forms of matter through gravity, while dark energy does not interact with any other known particles.

How do scientists study Dark Matter and Dark Energy?

Scientists study dark matter and dark energy through a variety of methods, including observations of the effects of their gravitational pull on visible matter and the cosmic microwave background radiation. They also use mathematical models and simulations to better understand the properties and behavior of these elusive substances.

Why are Dark Matter and Dark Energy important to our understanding of the universe?

Dark matter and dark energy are important because they make up the vast majority of the universe and play a crucial role in its evolution. Understanding their properties and behavior can help us better understand the origins and fate of the universe, as well as the fundamental laws of physics that govern it.