What is a potential? Specifically, an electrostatic potential

In summary, the electrostatic potential is a property of a point in an electrical circuit and is defined as the electrostatic potential energy per unit charge. It is similar to gravitational potential in that it is a constant for a given uniform field and is gained by objects due to the force acting on them. In an electrical circuit, it is gained by electrons being repelled by the positive terminal and attracted to the negative terminal.
MBBphys
Gold Member

Homework Statement

How do we define an electrostatic potential? My teacher tried to explain it through teaching us gravitational potentials, and I have presented what I came up with under '3.The attempt at a solution'. Please see below and thanks in advance for any help in clarifying whether my understanding seems to be correct, and more importantly, I do not fully understand the words I have underlined and made bold at the end, so if someone could explain it carefully, I would very much appreciate it.

Homework Equations

Please see below.

The Attempt at a Solution

To understand electric potentials, it is useful to first understand gravitational potentials. Not gravitational potential energy (Egpe), but gravitational potentials (Vgrav):

Vgrav = Egpe/m

V1 = mg(h1)/m

V1 = g(h1)

(Egpe = mgh)

Do you see how gravitational potential (Vgrav) is a property of a point in space! There is no mass (m) in the equation Vgrav=gh!

Because of the gravitational field, we can define this property in a point in space known as the gravitational potential, and a mass in that field will gain gravitation potential energy due to the gravitational potential. Different masses will gain different amounts of gravitational potential energy, but the gravitational potential is a constant for any given uniform gravitational field:

Vgrav * m = Egpe
So, in an electrical circuit, the electrons gain electrostatic potential energy, but the electrostatic potential is defined as the electrostatic potential energy per unit charge. The electrostatic potential is a property of a point in the circuit, and a certain amount of charge will have some amount of electrostatic potential energy depending on where in a circuit it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
And an additional bit here:
Why does an object gain gravitational potential energy as you lift it up? Because you are doing work against gravitational pull, thus causing the object to increase in the amount of g.p.e it has. You are transferring your bodily chemical energy to gravitational potential energy. Similarly, a battery transforms chemical energy from a reaction to electrostatic potential energy.

Furthermore, just as you are gaining g.p.e. because you are doing work against gravitational pull, the electrons gain electrostatic potential energy because they are being repelled by the positive terminal and are attracted to the negative terminal.

Related to What is a potential? Specifically, an electrostatic potential

What is a potential?

A potential is a scalar quantity that represents the stored energy of a physical system. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to describe the behavior of charged particles in electrostatics.

What is an electrostatic potential?

An electrostatic potential is a type of potential that arises from the interaction between charged particles. It is a measure of the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field.

How is an electrostatic potential calculated?

An electrostatic potential is calculated by dividing the potential energy of a charged particle by its charge. This gives the potential energy per unit charge, which is the electrostatic potential.

What are the units of electrostatic potential?

The units of electrostatic potential are volts (V) in the SI system of units. In other systems of units, such as the Gaussian system, the units are statvolts (statV).

What are some real-world applications of electrostatic potential?

Electrostatic potential has many real-world applications, such as in electrostatic precipitators used to clean air pollution, in particle accelerators, and in the design of electronic devices such as capacitors and transistors.