What is a partial derivative and how is it used in Schrodinger's equation?

In summary, a partial derivative is a derivative that measures the slope along a coordinate direction while treating all other variables as constants. It is often used in equations involving multiple variables, such as Schrodinger's equation in quantum mechanics. It can be calculated by taking the derivative with respect to one variable while holding all others constant. Additionally, Wikipedia and Wolfram can be helpful resources for understanding and visualizing partial derivatives.
Arjun Wasan
I am a 7th grader who is interested in Quantum mechanics and I'm learning schroninger's equation and there is a partial derivative in it and I looked it up but the best I could find was that it was a function of variables of the variables derivatives, but that didn't make much sense. Can someone please explain to me what a partial derivative is (I know what a derivative is already).

Physics news on Phys.org
A partial derivative is a derivative with respect to only one coordinate while all others are treated as constants.
E.g. for ##f(x,y,z) = 2x^2 +3yz + xz^2## we get ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = 4x +z^2##.

Edit: And good luck! You can also look up basic terms on Wikipedia. It is something in between the short answer I gave you and the very long version of what could be said. Perhaps it's worth mentioning, that partial derivatives measure the slope along a coordinate direction, ##x## in the example above. You can always play a little with those functions on Wolfram. If you only use ##x## and ##y## as variables of a function they have nice plots.

Last edited:

Related to What is a partial derivative and how is it used in Schrodinger's equation?

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to a specific variable while keeping all other variables constant. It is denoted by ∂ (pronounced "del") and is often used in multivariable calculus and physics.

2. How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A regular derivative calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to one independent variable. A partial derivative, on the other hand, calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to one independent variable while holding all other independent variables constant.

3. What is the purpose of finding a partial derivative?

Partial derivatives are useful for analyzing and understanding how changes in one variable affect the overall behavior of a multivariable function. They are also important in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering for optimizing systems and solving complex equations.

4. How do you calculate a partial derivative?

To calculate a partial derivative, take the derivative of the function with respect to the variable of interest while treating all other variables as constants. This is similar to taking a regular derivative but with the added step of keeping other variables constant.

5. What are some real-life applications of partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives have numerous applications in various fields, including economics, physics, and engineering. Some examples include using partial derivatives to calculate marginal cost and revenue in economics, determining the velocity and acceleration of an object in physics, and optimizing systems in engineering.