What is a linear ordinary differential equation

In summary, an nth-order linear ordinary differential equation (ODE) is a differential equation with the form \sum_{i=0}^n a_i(x)y^{(i)}(x)\ =\ b(x) where y^{(i)}(x) denotes the ith derivative of y with respect to x. The difference between any two solutions is a solution of the homogeneous part, and the general solution of a linear ODE is the sum of one particular solution of the whole equation plus a linear combination of n independent solutions of the homogeneous part. Homogeneous linear ODEs have homogeneous solutions, which are linear combinations of solutions in the form e^{\lambda x} or x^ie^{\lambda x}, and can be
Definition/Summary

An nth-order linear ordinary differential equation (ODE) is a differential equation of the form
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^n a_i(x)y^{(i)}(x)\ =\ b(x)[/tex]
where [itex]y^{(i)}(x)[/itex] denotes the ith derivative of y with respect to x.

The difference between any two solutions is a solution of the homogeneous part:
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^n a_i(x)y^{(i)}(x)\ =\ 0[/tex]

This equation has n independent solutions, and every solution is a linear combination of them.

So the general solution of a linear ODE is the sum of one particular solution of the whole equation plus a linear combination of n independent solutions of the homogeneous part (in other words: a particular solution plus any homogeneous solution).

Equations
Extended explanation

Homogeneous linear ODE:

A homogeneous linear ODE is a linear ODE in which [itex]b(x)=0.[/itex]

Homogeneous solutions:

These are linear combinations of solutions of the form [itex]e^{\lambda x}[/itex] or [itex]x^ie^{\lambda x}[/itex].

Any solution of the form [itex]e^{\lambda x}[/itex] can be found by the method shown in the following example.

For the general method of solution, see the method of characteristic polynomial, at the foot of this page.

Example of homogeneous solution:

Find the general solution to [itex]y'' - 2y' -8y = \sin{x}+ \cos{x}[/itex]

First we must find the general homogeneous solution, [itex]y_h[/itex].

Let's guess that [itex]y_h[/itex] is in the form [itex]y_h=e^{\lambda x}[/itex] - this seems like
a good guess, doesn't it? So, plugging in, we have
[tex]\left(\lambda^2 - 2\lambda -8\right) e^{\lambda x} = 0[/tex]
Now, since [itex]e^{\lambda x}[/itex] is never [itex]0[/itex], we can solve the above equation as a quadratic (the characteristic quadratic),
and we find that either [itex]\lambda=4[/itex] or [itex]\lambda=-2[/itex].
Therefore the general solution is
[tex]y_h = C_1 e^{4x} + C_2 e^{-2x}[/tex]
where [itex]C_1[/itex] and [itex]C_2[/itex] are arbitrary constants.

Particular solutions:

We only need one particular solution.

Finding one is generally a combination of common-sense and guesswork, based on the nature of the polynomial [itex]b(x)[/itex].

Let's see how to do it with the above example, in which [itex]b(x)\ =\ \sin{x}+ \cos{x}[/itex], using the method of undetermined coefficients

There is also the more general variation of parameters method, but this is not usually needed in examination questions.

Example of Particular Solution by the Method of Undetermined Coefficients:

Let's guess a particular solution in the form [itex]y_p\ =\ A\sin{x} + B\cos{x}[/itex].

The method of undetermined coefficients is to solve for [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] by plugging [itex]y\ =\ y_p[/itex] into the original equation, giving:

[tex]\sin{x}(-9A\ +\ 2B)\ +\ \cos{x}(-2A\ -\ 9B)\ =\ \sin{x}\ +\ \cos{x}[/tex]

which, dealing with the coefficients of [itex]\sin{x}[/itex] and [itex]\cos{x}[/itex] separately, gives:

[tex]A\ =\ -11/85\ \ \ \ B = -7/85[/tex]

and so [itex]y_p\ =\ -(11\sin{x}\ +\ 7\cos{x})/85[/itex] is a solution to the original equation.

Using this as the particular solution, the general solution of the original equation is:

[tex]y= C_1 e^{4x} + C_2 e^{-2x} - (11\sin{x}\ +\ 7\cos{x})/85[/tex]

Homogeneous solution by characteristic polynomial:

This is not the same as the characteristic polynomial of a matrix or matroid

In a linear differential equation, the derivative may be replaced by an operator, D, giving a polynomial equation in D:

[tex]\sum_{n\,=\,0}^m\,a_n\,\frac{d^ny}{dx^n}\ =\ 0\ \mapsto\ \left(\sum_{n\,=\,0}^m\,a_n\,D^n\right)y\ =\ 0[/tex]

If this polynomial has distinct (different) roots [itex]\lambda_1,\dots,\lambda_m[/itex]:

[tex]\prod_{n\,=\,1}^m(D\,-\,\lambda_n)\ =\ 0[/tex]

then the general solution is a linear combination of the solutions of each of the equations:

[tex]\left(D\,-\,\lambda_n\right)y\ =\ 0[/tex]

which are the same as [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}\ =\ \lambda_n\,y[/tex]

and so the general solution is of the form:

[tex]y\ =\ \sum_{n\,=\,1}^m\,C_n\,e^{\lambda_nx}[/tex]

For a pair of complex roots (they always come in conjugate pairs) [itex]p\ \pm\ iq[/itex] or [itex]r\,e^{\pm is}[/itex], a pair of [itex]C_ne^{r_nx}[/itex] may be replaced by [tex]e^{px}(A\,cos(qx)\,+\,iB\,sin(qx))[/tex] or [tex]r^k(A\,cos(sk)\,+\,iB\,sin(sk))[/tex]

However, if the polynomial has some repeated roots:

[tex]\prod_{p\,=\,1}^q\prod_{n\,=\,1}^p(D\,-\,\lambda_n)^p\,y\ =\ 0[/tex]

then the general solution is of the form:

[tex]y\ =\ \sum_{p\,=\,1}^q\sum_{n\,=\,1}^pC_{n,p}\,x^{p-1}\,e^{\lambda_nx}[/tex]

* This entry is from our old Library feature. If you know who wrote it, please let us know so we can attribute a writer. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Related to What is a linear ordinary differential equation

What is a linear ordinary differential equation?

A linear ordinary differential equation is an equation that involves only the derivatives of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable, and the dependent variable itself. It can be written in the form of y' = f(x), where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, and f(x) is a function of x.

What makes an ordinary differential equation linear?

An ordinary differential equation is considered linear if all of its terms can be expressed as a linear combination of the dependent variable and its derivatives. This means that the power of the dependent variable and its derivatives is always 1, and there are no products or compositions of these terms.

What is the difference between a linear and non-linear ordinary differential equation?

The main difference between a linear and non-linear ordinary differential equation is in the form of their terms. A linear equation has terms that are all linear combinations of the dependent variable and its derivatives, while a non-linear equation contains terms that involve products, powers, or compositions of these terms.

Why are linear ordinary differential equations important in science?

Linear ordinary differential equations are important in science because they provide a mathematical framework for describing a wide range of physical phenomena. They are used to model various systems in physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering, and their solutions can provide valuable insights into the behavior of these systems.

What are some examples of linear ordinary differential equations?

Some examples of linear ordinary differential equations include Newton's second law of motion, which describes the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, and the laws of thermodynamics, which describe the flow of heat and energy in a system. Other examples include the equations for simple harmonic motion, radioactive decay, and electrical circuits.