What is a clinometer and how can it be used to find the height of an object?

• Thread starter mathwhizpro
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a math tool, specifically a large protractor, to use in a high school trigonometry lesson. The person is unsure of what the tool is called and is seeking suggestions for where to find one. The conversation also suggests making a clinometer as an alternative, with a link to a tutorial on how to make one using straws and cardboard.
mathwhizpro
I’m looking for this math tool. The purpose behind getting this will be a part of my high school trig lesson showing how I can find the height of an object using trig. I would love a large protractor like object like this but don’t even know what this one is called to search for one on amazon or eBay. Any suggestion is appreciated.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/230124

To see it in use go to 11:45 here:

Likes YoungPhysicist
Science news on Phys.org
kuruman said:
You can make one yourself. See here
https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Clinometer#Making_a_Protractor_Clinometer_sub
You may find the last method more appropriate to your need.
Cool! We students in Tawian needs to make a clinometer(Oh! it's called a clinometer!) when we were 10 with straws and cardboard as a part of our lesson of observing the moon:wink:(part of my old textbook)
螢幕擷取畫面 (33).png

Attachments

• 螢幕擷取畫面 (33).png
    螢幕擷取畫面 (33).png
    57.1 KB · Views: 501
Likes jedishrfu

Related to What is a clinometer and how can it be used to find the height of an object?

1. What is a math tool?

A math tool is any physical or digital object used to aid in solving mathematical problems or understanding mathematical concepts.

2. What are some common examples of math tools?

Some common examples of math tools include calculators, rulers, protractors, compasses, graphing software, and manipulatives such as blocks or counters.

3. How do I know which math tool to use for a specific problem?

The best math tool to use for a specific problem depends on the type of problem and the desired outcome. For example, a calculator may be useful for solving complex equations, while a protractor may be necessary for measuring angles.

4. Can I use multiple math tools together?

Yes, you can use multiple math tools together to solve a problem. In fact, using different tools can often lead to a more accurate and efficient solution.

5. Are there any digital alternatives to traditional math tools?

Yes, there are many digital alternatives to traditional math tools. For example, instead of using a physical ruler, you can use a virtual ruler on a computer or tablet. There are also many online graphing tools and math software programs available.