What Insights Does Quantum Physics from A to Z Offer?

In summary, the article discusses how many physicists have gathered to poke fun at one of their own, Anton Zeilinger, and how it is surprising that an "affectionate ribbing" would be accepted on the arXiv.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0505187
Quantum Physics from A to Z

Authors: M. Arndt, M. Aspelmeyer, H. J. Bernstein, R. Bertlmann, C. Brukner, J. P. Dowling, A. Ekert, D. M. Greenberger, M. A. Horne, T. Jennewein, P. G. Kwiat, J.-W. Pan, E. M. Rasel, H. Rauch, T. G. Rudolph, C. Salomon, A. V. Sergienko, J. Schmiedmayer, C. Simon, V. Vedral, P. Walther, G. Weihs, P. Zoller, M. Zukowski

3 pages, Quantum Physics of Nature (QUPON) Conference, Vienna, Austria, May 22nd-26th, 2005

"This is a collection of statements gathered on the occasion of the Quantum Physics of Nature meeting in Vienna."

that was quick, the conference is not even over and they have already posted a group paper with many authors

Physics news on Phys.org
A sampling of the words of wisdom in the article:

There is no quantum information. There is only a quantum way of handling information.

Photons are clicks in photon detectors.

The border between classical and quantum phenomena is just a question of money.

marcus said:
A sampling of the words of wisdom in the article:

There is no quantum information. There is only a quantum way of handling information.

Photons are clicks in photon detectors.

The border between classical and quantum phenomena is just a question of money.

No offense,Marcus,but that's too deep for me... :zzz:

Daniel.

I liked:
"Peter Zoller, quoting Anton Zeilliger: Physics will in the future put less emphasis on equations and mathematics but more on verbal understanding."

and

"Artur Ekert: I like small gadgets. Look at this tiny digital camera...where is it..."

nc

Thank you for this post :)

Locrian said:
Thank you for this post :)

I got a few chuckles.
Glad you enjoyed it :)

Quantum Physicists are clearly cat people.

ohwilleke said:
Quantum Physicists are clearly cat people.

Yaaaay! You got it, ohwilleke! I couldn't think of it. That's it!

marcus said:
I got a few chuckles.
Glad you enjoyed it :)
Did I miss something, I thought that was a serious article, was it intended as a joke?

You have company JMA, dextercioby appears to have found it serious, and even dull.

dextercioby said:
No offense,Marcus,but that's too deep for me... :zzz:

Daniel.

Maybe they didnt know themselves and it is just a matter of taste, or individual comic sense.

does anyone know if Anton Zeilinger is real, or is he a made-up person like the famous French mathematician Nicolas Bourbaki?

I found it deep and thoughtful, its nice to know what these guys think of
their own research arena.

marcus said:
You have company JMA, dextercioby appears to have found it serious, and even dull.

Maybe they didnt know themselves and it is just a matter of taste, or individual comic sense.

does anyone know if Anton Zeilinger is real, or is he a made-up person like the famous French mathematician Nicolas Bourbaki?
Yes, Anton Zeilinger is real, he is a Professor of Physics at the University of Vienna, here's his homepage:
http://www.quantum.univie.ac.at/zeilinger/

That's why I was confused by this article. So two dozens physicists got together and wrote an article poking fun at Anton Zeilinger? I thought that sort of derision was reserved for crackpots. I found some of Zeilinger's theories interesting and I thought the paper was intended to spark discussion about them, I did not realize he was regarded as a crank.

Furthermore, why would the arXiv accept a gag paper? Admittedly I do not have much experience in reading scholarly papers but I thought the arXiv was a serious resource for scientists and I did not expect them to print something that was essentially a hoax.

Last edited by a moderator:
jma2001 said:
That's why I was confused by this article. So two dozens physicists got together and wrote an article poking fun at Anton Zeilinger?

With all respect, if you think that was simply "making fun" you must have a tin ear. That was an old and beloved professor's students testifying to his influence on them. Some of them still agree with what he taught them, some are in revolt against his teachings, and the rest make nervous jokes. All of them are clearly wondering if they'll ever be the authority he has been.

selfAdjoint said:
With all respect, if you think that was simply "making fun" you must have a tin ear. That was an old and beloved professor's students testifying to his influence on them. Some of them still agree with what he taught them, some are in revolt against his teachings, and the rest make nervous jokes. All of them are clearly wondering if they'll ever be the authority he has been.
OK, I understand that, I was confused mostly because the paper appeared on arXiv and I usually expect to read serious papers there, so the humor caught me by surprise. I would have thought that an "affectionate ribbing" as this paper might be called would be more appropriate content for a personal web page. I am certainly not saying that arXiv should never accept a light-hearted paper, it's just something I'll have to be more in tune for next time. :smile:

The arXiv is not a peer-reviewed database. Anyone with a connection to a university can publish anything she'd like there.

- Warren

chroot said:
The arXiv is not a peer-reviewed database. Anyone with a connection to a university can publish anything she'd like there.

Actually, no.

Kea said:
Actually, no.

chroot, Kea is right
Last year arxiv instituted a very mild system of control which involves
getting recommendations. The people officially designated as able to recommend have been kind of grandfathered in, and their OK does not mean that they vouch for the paper so much as that they don't think it is totally wacko. Kea, or Alejandro who has had a lot of experience with the new system, may wish to explain in detail. I can only say that as far as I can see arxiv still admits abysmally low quality. mathematically vacuous meaningless garbage, along with good stuff. But it now has a "crank filter" that keeps real loonies from posting.

Related to What Insights Does Quantum Physics from A to Z Offer?

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It deals with the principles of quantum mechanics, which describe the behavior of particles in terms of probabilities rather than definite outcomes.

2. What are some key concepts in quantum physics?

Some key concepts in quantum physics include wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, superposition, entanglement, and quantum tunneling. These concepts help to explain the strange and counterintuitive behavior of particles at the quantum level.

3. How does quantum physics relate to everyday life?

Quantum physics has many practical applications in modern technology, such as transistors, lasers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It also helps to explain the behavior of materials and phenomena that we encounter in our daily lives, such as the colors of objects and the properties of light.

4. What are the implications of quantum physics?

The implications of quantum physics are still being explored and debated by scientists. Some of the potential implications include the ability to create highly powerful and efficient computers, the possibility of teleportation, and the potential for time travel.

5. Are there any controversies in quantum physics?

Yes, there are ongoing debates and controversies in quantum physics, such as the interpretation of quantum mechanics and the role of consciousness in quantum measurement. These debates help to further our understanding of the field and push the boundaries of our knowledge.

Back