What Hidden Gems Should I Explore on My Australian Road Trip?

• Thread starter El Hombre Invisible
  • Start date
In summary, this Australian friend is planning a trip around Australia and recommends some places to visit. Some of these places are well-known tourist destinations, while others are less well known. The traveler is also advised to ask questions about tides and other tips when driving in the rain or during cyclones.
El Hombre Invisible
I'm going to Australia for a two or three months pretty soon. Plan is to start in Sydney, drive up the east coast to Cairns, then west to Darwin, down through the desert via Alice Springs, down to Adelaide, then east back round to Sydney, if the heat hasn't killed my north-of-England-adapted body.

What I want to know is what I shouldn't miss. Obviously all the famous stuff will be ticked off the checklist like a good tourist, but I'm really interested in less well known places, well-kept secrets, be they towns, beaches, buildings, restarants, bars, clubs, walks, parks, scenic drives, whatever.

So if all you backpackers of years gone by can give me as many pointers as possible, I'd be most appreciative. Like I said, I don't need to know about the opera house or Ayers rock, nor stuff that's too far off the route given above. But anything else that comes to mind would be great.

Thanks loads.

El Hombre

Physics news on Phys.org
An Australian web friend of mine is always talking about a place called Byron Bay. I'm not sure what's so special about it, but she seems very keen on it.

Yes, Byron Bay will be on the itinerary. Such a shame I will miss the 2005 Byron Bay yoga fest though.

Has nobody here been to Oz?

maybe a trip to Undersea World Cairns will interest you and won't kill your north-of-England-adapted body :wink: hope u have a nice undersea experience. :smile:

Cool, thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

El Hombre, hope you haven't left yet, here are some dated thoughts, its been a while...
Hope you've included Fraser Island as well as the reef islands, Airlie Beach, sailing in the Whitsundays in your schedule. One bit of advice, avoid Queensland in the rainy/cyclone/stinger season around Feb. Looking at your photo, my guess is you'll be in Sydney for the Gay,Lesbian, Bi,Transgender,other, Mardis Grass in Feb anyway (its great). Also if you're doing any 4wheel beach driving, ask lots of questions about tides and other tips.

In Sydney Longrain was a gorgeous Thai restaurant. Bill's is great for breaky, but you also should walk around south head from Bronte to Bondi and have breaky at Jackies, too, its an institution. There's also the Icebergs bar/restaurant at Bondi. Also, catch the Manly Ferry, nice walks and the Manly Kiosk is good too. Near Mosman and the zoo, The Bathers Pavillion is a bit more conservative, but pleasant, on the Beach. Will and Toby's and Chicane were good bars a couple of years ago.
Have fun.

fi said:
El Hombre, hope you haven't left yet, here are some dated thoughts, its been a while...
Hope you've included Fraser Island as well as the reef islands, Airlie Beach, sailing in the Whitsundays in your schedule. One bit of advice, avoid Queensland in the rainy/cyclone/stinger season around Feb. Looking at your photo, my guess is you'll be in Sydney for the Gay,Lesbian, Bi,Transgender,other, Mardis Grass in Feb anyway (its great). Also if you're doing any 4wheel beach driving, ask lots of questions about tides and other tips.
In Sydney Longrain was a gorgeous Thai restaurant. Bill's is great for breaky, but you also should walk around south head from Bronte to Bondi and have breaky at Jackies, too, its an institution. There's also the Icebergs bar/restaurant at Bondi. Also, catch the Manly Ferry, nice walks and the Manly Kiosk is good too. Near Mosman and the zoo, The Bathers Pavillion is a bit more conservative, but pleasant, on the Beach. Will and Toby's and Chicane were good bars a couple of years ago.
Have fun.

fi, you rule! This is exactly the kind of thing I was after. Apologies for not responding straight away - I thought this thread had died on its feet. Needless to say I am very grateful for all the advice.

I am going to quote the additional info you PM'd me here as well, since I would like to keep a consolidated compilation. Hope that's okay.

Thanks again.

Additional tints and hips from fi:

fi said:
Hi, most of places I mentioned can be found on the Web, but let me know if youd like any more details.
I think Jackies may no longer serve Breaky, but has turned itself into a restaurant.
I had a couple of other thoughts, Point Lookout and Cylinder Beach on Stradbroke Island, off Brisbane, and in Sydney, a lazy afternoon eating hot chips on the deck at the Cruising Yacht Club by the boats on the harbour, next to Rushcutters Park is nice - not on Wednesdays and Saturdays in summer (race days, and lots of cueing if your from out of town).

Related to What Hidden Gems Should I Explore on My Australian Road Trip?

1. Where is the yellow brick road located?

The yellow brick road is a fictional pathway that appears in the book The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum. It is located in the magical land of Oz.

2. How long is the yellow brick road?

The exact length of the yellow brick road is not specified in the book or subsequent adaptations. However, it is described as being "many miles" long and spans the entire length of the land of Oz.

3. Does the yellow brick road actually exist?

The yellow brick road is a fictional creation and does not exist in the real world. However, it is a powerful symbol in the story of The Wizard of Oz and has become a beloved cultural reference.

4. What is the significance of the yellow brick road?

In the story, the yellow brick road serves as a pathway for Dorothy and her companions to reach the Emerald City and ultimately, the Wizard of Oz. It also represents the journey of self-discovery and overcoming obstacles. In popular culture, the yellow brick road is often used as a metaphor for following one's dreams or the path to success.

5. Can you walk on the yellow brick road?

The yellow brick road is described as a sturdy and well-paved road in the story, so it is possible to walk on it. However, as it is a fictional creation, it cannot be physically walked on in the real world.

Back