What has been done here to simplify the integration

In summary, the lecturer re-wrote $e^{-st}$ as $\frac{d}{dt}e^{-st}$ and took out the $(-\frac{1}{s}$ which is equivalent. He then applied the integration by parts rule to split the integral into two parts, using the fact that $\frac{d(e^{-st})}{dt}= -s e^{-st}$. Although there may be other methods, this is the standard way to integrate this expression.
nacho-man
Please refer to the attached image.

My lecturer seems to have re-written $e^{-st}$ as $\frac{d}{dt}e^{-st}$ and taken out the $(-\frac{1}{s}$ which I do see is equivalent, but i am unsure how he goes from there onwards.

Although, e is the derivative of itself. how does he split the integral into two, despite there being a multiplication of the terms?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 58
Physics news on Phys.org
nacho said:
Please refer to the attached image.

My lecturer seems to have re-written $e^{-st}$ as $\frac{d}{dt}e^{-st}$ and taken out the $(-\frac{1}{s}$ which I do see is equivalent, but i am unsure how he goes from there onwards.

Although, e is the derivative of itself. how does he split the integral into two, despite there being a multiplication of the terms?

Your lecturer has applied the 'integration by parts' rule...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

hah. thanks..
that was mildly embarrassing.

i didn't closely to see if he had done so. when he was talking in the lecture he mentioned that there was a 'trick' way to integrate this w/o integrating by parts or something along those lines.

nacho said:
hah. thanks..
that was mildly embarrassing.

i didn't closely to see if he had done so. when he was talking in the lecture he mentioned that there was a 'trick' way to integrate this w/o integrating by parts or something along those lines.

I would ask him again what it was he said. By-parts is certainly the standard way to integrate this, and it's not all that difficult, once you know how. I suppose you could set up tabular integration, but that's just a unified way of keeping track of by-parts. It wouldn't be worth it for only one application of by-parts.

The first step depends upon the fact that [tex]\frac{d(e^{-st})}{dt}= -s e^{-st}[/tex] so that, dividing both sides by -s, [tex]e^{-st}= -\frac{1}{s}\frac{d(e^{-st})}{dt}[/tex].

Of course, since "s" is independent of the integration variable, t, we can take [tex]-\frac{1}{s}[/tex] out of the integral.

Related to What has been done here to simplify the integration

1. What is the purpose of simplifying integration?

The purpose of simplifying integration is to make the process of combining different elements or systems easier and more efficient. This can save time, resources, and reduce potential errors or complications.

2. How does simplifying integration benefit scientific research?

Simplifying integration in scientific research allows for faster and more accurate data analysis and interpretation. It also promotes collaboration and the sharing of information between different research groups or institutions.

3. What techniques are commonly used to simplify integration?

There are various techniques used to simplify integration, such as standardization of data formats, automation of processes, and the use of software or tools specifically designed for integration purposes.

4. Are there any challenges associated with simplifying integration?

Yes, there can be challenges in simplifying integration, especially when dealing with complex or heterogeneous systems. It may require significant time and effort to identify and address compatibility issues and ensure seamless integration.

5. How can scientists ensure successful integration when simplifying?

To ensure successful integration, scientists should carefully plan and strategize the integration process. This may involve conducting thorough research, consulting with experts, and testing the integration before implementing it on a larger scale.