What happens when wind affects the motion of a ball heading towards a wall?

In summary, the conversation discusses the consequences of a force not affecting the perpendicular velocity of an object, including examples such as dropping two bullets at the same time and a ball being deflected by wind but still reaching the wall in the same amount of time. The conversation also considers the potential violation of this rule if the wind speed is high enough to prevent the ball from reaching the wall, but ultimately concludes that this rule still holds true in most ideal situations. The topic of aerodynamics and air resistance is also briefly mentioned.
jainabhs
Hi all
In Newtonian mechanics we say that the 'force acting on an object don't affect the velocity of that object which is perpendicular to the force'
Consequeces of this fact are like if I fire a bullet from my gun, and drop the same kind of bullet at the same time I fire , both the bullets will reach the ground simultaneously. Because vertical motion is not affected by horrizontal motion.
There is one more example - If a ball is heading towards a wall with 2mt/sec.
As it is 2 meters away from the wall, wind blows from sideways and deflects the direction of the ball; But still the ball would reach the wall with in the same time it would have reached without wind. This is all okay.
Question: Doesnt this rule get violated if the speed of the wind is so high that it takes the ball along and ball never touches the wall

Please help me understand this...thanks in anticipation

Abhishek Jain

Physics news on Phys.org
jainabhs said:
Question: Doesnt this rule get violated if the speed of the wind is so high that it takes the ball along and ball never touches the wall
How fast does the wind have to be going to do that?

Won't happen.
The ball will always touch the wall.
Greater wind speed just means that the ball travels a greater distance in the direction of the wind before it touches the wall.

Imagine running down an endless corridor, and the walls on either side of you are closing in, they are accelerating towards each other, and will touch in twenty minutes. It doesn't matter how hard you run, how fast you run, how far you get - the walls will still crush you in exactly twenty minutes. I think I have issues...

Last edited:
What am I missing? The wind exerts a sideways force on the ball. You have to consider ALL forces acting you can't pick and choose.

Integral, the sideforce by the wind is the only force on the ball. What is your point? In any case, the ball can be traveling at an infinite sped sideways, but it's speed in the original direction of motion is unchanged, and it will thus hit the wall in the same amount of time as if the wind was not there.
Unless you try and consider relativistic effects...

hmmm... just a side thought, doesn't a rotating bullet generate lift? I don't know too much about aerodynamics so does anyone know the answer?

Velocity is made up of two components perpendicular to each other. Let's say something is moving north-east. The velocity is made up of a North component and an East component. If a force starts acting on the object toward the west then the object's east velocity will reduce, and then go negative (so the velocity would be positive in the west direction) and eventually the object would be going north-west. But it's northward velocity component will not change at all (in a frictionless, ideal system).

But of course that is in a frictionless system. In reality it would be somewhat different.As for the ball missing the wall entirely the rule isn't violated, it just missed the wall. The forward velocity component of the ball is uneffected. (Again, ideal).

tim_lou said:
hmmm... just a side thought, doesn't a rotating bullet generate lift? I don't know too much about aerodynamics so does anyone know the answer?

I would have thought that the lift could be up or down on a rotating bullet because it depends on the wind speed direction across the bullet. Anyway, here is a link that should explain most things:

rieuk said:
Integral, the sideforce by the wind is the only force on the ball. What is your point? In any case, the ball can be traveling at an infinite sped sideways, but it's speed in the original direction of motion is unchanged, and it will thus hit the wall in the same amount of time as if the wind was not there.
Unless you try and consider relativistic effects...
If the wind exerts a sideways force, then you must be considering air resistance. There is then also a force oposing the forward motion of the ball. So there is no guarantee that it will reach the wall in the real world.

Reaching the wall is just a way of signifying forward velocity. But other then that Integral is 100% correct. But note he says in the real world. In most of the situations presented in high school physics (frictionless) a force acting on the ball from the side would not affect the front at all.

Related to What happens when wind affects the motion of a ball heading towards a wall?

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion. It is measured in units of Newtons (N).

How does force affect motion?

Force can cause an object to speed up, slow down, change direction, or remain at rest. The effect of force on motion is determined by the magnitude and direction of the force applied.

What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass.

What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when a force is applied to an object, the object exerts an equal and opposite force back.