What Happens When an Electron-Hole Meets a Positron-Hole?

• Thread starter luxiaolei
  • Start date
In summary: So in a way, it's not that strange to think that something like that could exist in an imagined world.
luxiaolei
Hi,all, I am curies in know what if a electron-hole meet a positron-hole, what will happen??

(positron hole can be made from taking a positron away from a bunch of positron)

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing.

It's just confusion about what those things are I guess. An electron hole is not a 'thing' really. It's just a place a free electron could go (where, for example an atom wants more electrons than it has). In this way we could imagine a positron hole as an anti-atom who wants more positrons to orbit it. So, if those atoms got close they would annihilate, but the fact that they have electron/positron 'holes' (missing some orbiting electrons/positrons) would do nothing.

James Leighe said:
Nothing.

It's just confusion about what those things are I guess. An electron hole is not a 'thing' really. It's just a place a free electron could go (where, for example an atom wants more electrons than it has). In this way we could imagine a positron hole as an anti-atom who wants more positrons to orbit it. So, if those atoms got close they would annihilate, but the fact that they have electron/positron 'holes' (missing some orbiting electrons/positrons) would do nothing.

Thanks for replay James Leighe.

I was thinking like what you said before actually. But I found that most of the time mathematical ''imagined'' object do really exsit, so I am start to wondering this question.
Also, sometimes, object's behaviours can really create particles, like phonon is created by latis vibration which is so strange to me..

Again, thinking in terms of wavefunction rather than particle?

luxiaolei said:
Thanks for replay James Leighe.

I was thinking like what you said before actually. But I found that most of the time mathematical ''imagined'' object do really exsit, so I am start to wondering this question.
Also, sometimes, object's behaviours can really create particles

Phonon is just a way of saying 'traveling physical disturbance in a solid', it's photons that carry that disturbance (through their interaction with electrons).

I am happy to provide an explanation for this scenario. First, it is important to understand what an electron-hole and positron-hole are. An electron-hole is a positively charged particle that is created when an electron is removed from an atom. Similarly, a positron-hole is a negatively charged particle that is created when a positron (the anti-particle of an electron) is removed from a bunch of positrons.

Now, if an electron-hole were to meet a positron-hole, they would be attracted to each other due to their opposite charges. As they get closer, they would form a bond called an electron-positron hole pair. This bond would be similar to that of a regular atom, with the electron-hole acting as the nucleus and the positron-hole orbiting around it.

However, this bond would not be stable and would quickly annihilate. This is because the electron and positron would come into contact and release a burst of energy in the form of gamma rays. This process is known as annihilation and is a common phenomenon in particle physics.

In summary, if an electron-hole were to meet a positron-hole, they would form a temporary bond before annihilating and releasing energy. This is just one example of the fascinating interactions that can occur between particles in the subatomic world. I hope this explanation satisfies your curiosity!

Related to What Happens When an Electron-Hole Meets a Positron-Hole?

1. What is an ElectronHole?

An ElectronHole is a hypothetical concept in physics that describes the absence of an electron in a material's electron energy band structure. It is essentially a positively charged space where an electron could exist, but does not.

2. What is a PositronHole?

A PositronHole is a similar concept to an ElectronHole, but instead of the absence of an electron, it describes the absence of a positron (the antimatter counterpart of an electron) in a material's positron energy band structure.

3. How are ElectronHoles and PositronHoles created?

ElectronHoles and PositronHoles can be created through various processes such as ionization, excitation, and radiation. They can also be created through the annihilation of an electron and positron pair.

4. What are the potential applications of ElectronHoles and PositronHoles?

ElectronHoles and PositronHoles have potential applications in fields such as quantum computing and high-energy physics research. They can also be used in the study of semiconductors and materials with unique electronic properties.

5. Are ElectronHoles and PositronHoles purely theoretical or have they been observed?

While ElectronHoles and PositronHoles are primarily theoretical concepts, they have been observed in certain materials and experiments. However, further research and advancements in technology are needed to fully understand and utilize these phenomena.