What happens to water at just above absolute zero degrees?

In summary, at temperatures below ~140 K, extremely rapid cooling or vapor deposition can result in the formation of a glasslike solid in water. This solid is considered an amorphous solid and there is no consensus on whether it should be classified as a solid or an extremely viscous liquid. There is also no evidence to support the claim that glass objects from Egyptian tombs have "flowed".
Jarfi
I know that water forms different kinds of crystals in different kind of temperatures but is there any temperature where water is solid but does not form crystals for example just above absolute zero degrees, what kind of crystals does it form?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jarfi said:
I know that water forms different kinds of crystals in different kind of temperatures but is there any temperature where water is solid but does not form crystals for example just above absolute zero degrees, what kind of crystals does it form?

Extremely rapid cooling, or vapour disposition at temperatures below ~140 K can form a glasslike solid.

http://stacks.iop.org/JPhysCM/15/R1669"

Last edited by a moderator:
willem2 said:
Extremely rapid cooling, or vapour disposition at temperatures below ~140 K can form a glasslike solid.

http://stacks.iop.org/JPhysCM/15/R1669"

Well answered. But that raises another question. Is glass a solid or just an extremely viscous liquid. Glass objects removed from Egyptian tombs show evidence of "flowing".

Last edited by a moderator:
You can say yes because it does not have a normal melting point.

Some people also refer to it as a amorphous solid. There is no real consensus to my understanding.

Glass is an amorphous solid. As far as I know, there is no actual evidence of glass "flowing", just anecdotes which are poorly supported. If you have any actual references for the glass objects from egyptian tombs "flowing", I would love to see them, but all of the actual information that I have seen indicates the contrary.

Related to What happens to water at just above absolute zero degrees?

1. What is absolute zero and why is it important for water?

Absolute zero is the theoretical temperature at which all molecular motion stops. It is important for water because it is the lowest possible temperature that water can reach without freezing.

2. Does water behave differently at just above absolute zero?

Yes, water behaves differently at just above absolute zero. At this temperature, water has very low energy and its molecular structure changes, making it more viscous and dense. It also exhibits unique properties such as superfluidity and superconductivity.

3. Can water exist as a liquid at just above absolute zero?

Yes, water can exist as a liquid at just above absolute zero. However, it is extremely cold and can only exist under very high pressure. At this temperature, water is also highly unstable and can easily freeze or turn into a gas.

4. Why is studying water at just above absolute zero important?

Studying water at just above absolute zero is important because it allows us to understand the fundamental properties of water and how it behaves at extreme temperatures. This knowledge can be applied to various fields such as materials science, physics, and chemistry.

5. What are the potential applications of understanding water at just above absolute zero?

Understanding water at just above absolute zero has various potential applications, such as in cryogenics, where extremely low temperatures are required for preserving biological samples or in developing advanced technologies like superconductors and superfluids. It can also help us to understand the behavior of other substances at low temperatures.