What happens to gaussian white noise when derived in continuous time?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a recording signal that includes both a signal and a gaussian white noise. The speaker is trying to determine what happens to the noise after the signal is derived, and if the result will still be statically gaussian. They are also discussing the use of the derivative to increase the SNR of events in white noise. The topic of differentiating in the frequency domain is brought up, and it is noted that the statistical properties of the derivative may not be mathematically defined.
lagoule
Hello,

I've got a problem where a recording signal is a signal + gaussian white noise (quite classic). I derive this signal and while I know the theoretical result of the derivative of the noiseless signal, but I can't figure out what happens to the noise after the operation.

So, basically, what happens to gaussian white noise if you derive it (in continuous time)? Will the result be statically gaussian? something else? What will be the variance and mean?

The goal of the problem is to perform detection of events in white noise, and the derivative is used to increase the SNR of the event.

Thanks for any help,

Jonathan

Physics news on Phys.org
True white noise has infinite power spectral density and no maximum frequency. I'm not a mathematician but that's probably not differentiable. Bandlited white noise is probably what you have on the real world an that is differentiable.

Opps, it's gaussian. You can differentiate in the frequecy domain. The phase will continue to be random.

Hello,

Off course, the noise is band-limited, as is the differentiator circuit.

I didn't think of looking at the problem in the frequency domain. If the white noise is flat in frequency domain, then its derivative will be linear. This also confirms that if the noise isn't band-limited, its derivative will have infinite power.

However, this doesn't give me the statistical properties of the derivative, it may hint that they aren't mathematically defined though.

Thanks for your help,

Jonathan

For any signal, the spectrum of the derivative is ω times the transform of the signal, i.e. ω·F(ω). So any peaked spectrum gets shifted toward higher frequencies.

Related to What happens to gaussian white noise when derived in continuous time?

1. What is the definition of white noise?

White noise is a type of random signal that has a constant power spectral density, meaning that it has equal energy at all frequencies. It is often described as a signal that contains all frequencies in equal proportions.

2. How is white noise generated?

White noise can be generated by a random process, such as flipping a coin or rolling a dice, or by using a computer algorithm to generate random numbers. It can also be created using electronic devices, such as a white noise machine.

3. What is the derivative of white noise?

The derivative of white noise is a random signal that describes the rate of change of the white noise signal. It is also known as a "colored" noise signal, as it has a non-constant power spectral density.

4. Why is the derivative of white noise important?

The derivative of white noise is important in many fields, including signal processing, finance, and engineering. It can be used to model and analyze systems that exhibit random behavior, and it can also be used to remove noise from signals in order to extract useful information.

5. How is the derivative of white noise calculated?

The derivative of white noise can be calculated using mathematical techniques such as differentiation or by applying digital filters to the original white noise signal. It can also be approximated using numerical methods, such as finite difference or spectral analysis.