What Happens to Amplitude When One of Two Glued Balls on a Spring Detaches?

• Thread starter kevinr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Harmonics
In summary, the problem involves a ball attached to a vertical ideal spring with a force constant of 170 N/m. The system is vibrating with an amplitude of 19.0 cm when the glue connecting two balls, one with a mass of 1.40 kg and the other with a mass of 2.20 kg, suddenly comes loose. The task is to find the amplitude of the remaining ball after the smaller one falls off. Using the fact that the system oscillated between 19 cm above and below the equilibrium point, and after the hint was given to find the new equilibrium point, it was determined that the remaining ball would be 19 cm below the new equilibrium point.
kevinr
[SOLVED] Simple Harmonics Question

Homework Statement

A 1.40 kg ball and a 2.20 kg ball are glued together with the lighter one below the heavier one. The upper ball is attached to a vertical ideal spring of force constant 170 N/m, and the system is vibrating vertically with amplitude 19.0 cm. The glue connecting the balls is old and weak, and it suddenly comes loose when the balls are at the lowest position in their motion.

m1 = 1.4 kg
m2 = 2.2 kg
k = 170 (not sure)

Homework Equations

(1/2)kx^2
(1/2)mv^2
(m1+ m2)v(both) = mv.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so i got the frequency of this problem to be 1.4 and that's correct. But I am lost in finding the amplitude.

Here's what i have done but its wrong. (I think since mass is less - amplitude should be less)

i want to use conservation of momentum (m(both)v(both) = mv) to find v of m2 so i first need v of both.

For that i need v(both) so i used conservation of energy (1/2kx^2 = 1/2mv^2) -> which gives me v(both)

With that i use to find v of m2 using m2v2 = m(both)v(both). Now with the v of m2, i use energy conservation again (1/2kx^2 = 1/2mv^2) to find x for just m2. This should be the amplitude but the answer seems to be wrong) - i get 17 cm.

Is my approach ok? Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is it that you are asked to find?

Amplitude after the small ball has fallen off. (of the big mass only)

Oops forgot that

OK. Hint: Where's the new equilibrium point?

Ok so that means that the 17 cm i got is compared to the old equilibrium?

If so, i have no idea how to get the new equilibrium point. Wouldnt the new equilibrium point be the new altitude you get? (since altitude is measured from equilibrium).

Thanks for help!

kevinr said:
Ok so that means that the 17 cm i got is compared to the old equilibrium?
I have no idea what you were doing when you calculated that value. You don't need conservation of momentum or energy to solve this.

You are given that the amplitude (before the piece falls off) was 19 cm. That means the system oscillated between 19 cm above the equilibrium point to 19 cm below the equilibrium point. (The equilibrium point is where the net force on the mass is zero.)

When the piece falls off, the remaining mass is 19 cm below the old equilibrium point. You need to find out how far it is below the new equilibrium point. So figure out how much the equilibrium point shifts.

removed cause i figured out after the hint!

Last edited:
Thanks!

I managed to figure it out after you Hint =D.

Related to What Happens to Amplitude When One of Two Glued Balls on a Spring Detaches?

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a body or system oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium position. It occurs when the force acting on the body is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position and is directed towards the equilibrium position.

What is the formula for calculating simple harmonic motion?

The formula for calculating simple harmonic motion is x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from the equilibrium position, A is the amplitude of the motion, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, and φ is the phase angle.

What factors affect the period of a simple harmonic motion?

The period of a simple harmonic motion is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant of the system, and the amplitude of the motion. The period is directly proportional to the mass and the spring constant, and inversely proportional to the amplitude.

What is the relationship between simple harmonic motion and waves?

Simple harmonic motion and waves are closely related, as both involve periodic motion. In simple harmonic motion, the motion is back and forth in a straight line, while in waves, the motion is back and forth in a transverse or longitudinal direction. Both can be described using the same mathematical equations.

What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion include a pendulum, a mass-spring system, the motion of a swing, and the vibrations of a guitar string. It can also be observed in the motion of sound waves and electromagnetic waves.