What happened to the vB codes?

• Thread starter Doc Al
  • Start date
In summary, vB codes, also known as vBulletin codes, were a popular formatting tool used on internet forums to add special features to posts such as bold or italicized text, images, and links. However, with the rise of more advanced and user-friendly content management systems, vB codes have become less commonly used and have been replaced by simpler formatting options. Some forums still offer the option to use vB codes, but they are no longer as prevalent as they once were.
Doc Al
Mentor
What happened to the vB codes? Like Δ and θ ?
It looks like these no longer work since the upgrade. Is this temporary, or are we not supposed to use them any more?

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope this feature will be returning since it takes much longer to process tex and the maximum number of characters allowed in messages using lot's of it is about 2,500 characters as opposed to the normal 10,000. I use tex only when necessary.

Well, &Delta and the ilk are not really vB codes, they are HTML entities. The new version of vBulletin turns & into &, only God knows why. You would need to hack the vB files to undo this.

Doc Al said:
What happened to the vB codes? Like Δ and θ ?
It looks like these no longer work since the upgrade. Is this temporary, or are we not supposed to use them any more?

No need for vb codes when you have LaTeX support :smile:

Hey Greg, who do I have to sleep with around here in order to get a custom avatar? :wink:

Greg Bernhardt said:
No need for vb codes when you have LaTeX support :smile:

As I said, unlike unicode, latex is really slow and cut's down the maximum size of posts by about 75% (and probably hurts performance of the site). I therefore avoid using tex when possible.

Hmmm I'd like to see them back also. The full power of TeX is honestly not always necessary. The *only* downside to the HTML codes is that some browsers do not display them properly, while all browsers will display the TeX properly.

We also don't really need 10,000 images in our latex directory of single greek letters...

- Warren

Okay, I re-enabled ASCII entities of the form &...;

Enjoy!

θ Δ

- Warren

chroot said:

Enjoy!

? ?

- Warren

Thanks, I will!

chroot said:
Sweet!

Now can you (or anyone) please post a list of all these entities? (Or a link to a list?)

Thanks!

*shrug* I'll see if I can find one somewhere...

We also don't really need 10,000 images in our latex directory of single greek letters...

Do you need 10,000 copies of the image? Is it not feasible to hash LaTeX source to images to cut down on processing and storage?

Hurkyl said:
Do you need 10,000 copies of the image? Is it not feasible to hash LaTeX source to images to cut down on processing and storage?
I've thought about doing hashing on the source, but the images are small to begin with. The possibility of hash collisions would mean I'd have to actually check them bit-by-bit to see if they're the same, which would mean I'd have to actually generate the image anyway. It wouldn't cut down on the server load at all. As far as I know, we have -plenty- of disk space to play with anyway. I'd also have to create a database to store the hashes. All in all, it's a lot of work to save a few megabytes, IMO.

My opinion on the matter is that LaTeX is overkill in many situations, so it just shouldn't be used there.

- Warren

I got codes

chroot said:
*shrug* I'll see if I can find one somewhere...
I found a motherload of them here: http://hissa.nist.gov/~black/htmlQuikRef.html

(Once I knew what they were called--not vB codes! :rolleyes: --they were easy to find.)

Maybe it would be a good thing to list these codes in a sticky next to the Latex sticky.

Admin edit: yep, something is wrong with the URL quoting. Argh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What happened to the vB codes?

1. What are vB codes?

vB codes are a type of markup language used on the vBulletin forum platform. They allow users to format text, add images and videos, and customize their posts.

2. Why are vB codes no longer available?

vB codes are no longer available because the vBulletin forum platform has switched to using HTML for formatting. This change was made to improve compatibility with modern web browsers and to make the platform more user-friendly.

3. Can I still use vB codes on the vBulletin platform?

No, vB codes are no longer supported on the vBulletin platform. However, you can still use HTML to format your posts and add images and videos.

4. Will my old posts with vB codes be affected by this change?

Yes, your old posts that contain vB codes will be automatically converted to HTML. Some formatting may appear different after the conversion, but your content will still be accessible.

5. Are there any alternatives to vB codes on the vBulletin platform?

Yes, you can use HTML to format your posts and add media. Additionally, the vBulletin platform offers a built-in WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor, which allows for easy formatting without the need for coding knowledge.