What Forces Contribute to the Torque on a Moving Robot?

In summary, the conversation discusses establishing a non-linear differential equation to govern the movement of a robot. The equation should have the sum of torques equal to the total inertia momentum, with one term being related to the distance d from the y axis. This term is represented by $I\frac{d}{dt} d(t)=IV\cos{\theta}$ where V is the constant linear velocity. However, there may be additional terms needed and clarification is sought on the mechanics of the situation. The response also notes that the previously mentioned term has incorrect dimensions for a torque and does not indicate how forces are being applied by the robot.
Granger

Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations [/B]
So I basically have to establish the non linear differential equation that governs the movement of this robot (relates d and theta):

5ao5Y.png

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that we should have the sum of torques equal to:

$$I\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}$$

where I is the total inertia momentum.

Now I'm having trouble understanding what terms will figure in total sum of the torques.

One of the terms needs to be related to the distance d from the y axis. That term must be

$$I\frac{d}{dt} d(t)=IV\cos{\theta}$$

where V is the constant linear velocity.

However there must be additional terms right? Can someone help clarify the mechanics of the situation? Thanks!

Attachments

• 5ao5Y.png
    5ao5Y.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 488
Physics news on Phys.org
Granger said:
One of the terms needs to be related to the distance d from the y axis. That term must be

$$I\frac{d}{dt} d(t)=IV\cos{\theta}$$

where V is the constant linear velocity.
That has the wrong dimensions for a torque, and I don't see how you arrive at it.
Surely you should be looking for forces that create the torque, but you have not indicated how forces are being applied by the robot.

Related to What Forces Contribute to the Torque on a Moving Robot?

1. What is the concept of balance of forces?

The balance of forces is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the equilibrium state of an object or system. It states that for an object to remain at rest or move with constant velocity, the sum of all forces acting on it must be zero.

2. How do forces affect the balance of an object?

Forces can either act in the same direction (resulting in a net force) or in opposite directions (resulting in a cancellation of forces). When the forces acting on an object are balanced, the object will remain at rest or move with constant velocity. If the forces are unbalanced, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

3. What are some real-life examples of balance of forces?

One example of balance of forces is when a person is standing still on the ground. The force of gravity pulling them down is balanced by the normal force from the ground pushing up, resulting in no movement. Another example is a book sitting on a table, where the downward force of gravity is balanced by the upward force of the table.

4. How do you calculate the balance of forces?

To calculate the balance of forces, you need to identify all the forces acting on an object and their respective magnitudes and directions. Then, you can add up all the forces in one direction and subtract the forces in the opposite direction. If the resulting sum is zero, the forces are balanced.

5. What happens when the balance of forces is disrupted?

If the balance of forces is disrupted, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force. This can result in changes in the object's velocity or direction of motion. For example, if a ball is kicked, the force of the kick will disrupt the balance of forces and cause the ball to accelerate in the direction of the kick.