What forces are missing from the free-body diagram for m1?

In summary: The problem arises with m1 and the first pulley. The equations here are not difficult. Obviously, for m1, we have m1*a2 = T1. The pulley is also easy, with 2T1 = T2. And from there the solution is not difficult. When I asked my teacher this question, he showed me the answer in the teachers manual, and this is also how it was solved there.But I am uncomfortable with this. If the second law truly applies here, then it seems to me the correct equation should be:m1*g - T1 = m1*a1Which also reflects the physical reality, I think. If
Dorothy Weglend
Hi,

I have a non-homework question, I hope that is ok.

Sometimes, when I solve force problems using Newton's laws, I can easily solve the problem, but I am confused about exactly what law is involved.

For example, I was helping someone solve a pulley problem today. This is problem 34 in Chapter 5 of Serway and Jewett, diagram p5.34. Otherwise, I have attached a (badly drawn) picture, which also includes my freebody diagrams. I want to stress that I have no problem solving this type of problem, but I just feel my understanding is not deep enough.

This is a real beginner problem, with no frictional forces, massless ropes and pulleys and all that.

There is no problem at all with m2. That is just a straightforward application of the second law. Sum of y forces = m2*g - T2 = m2*a2.

The problem arises with m1 and the first pulley. The equations here are not difficult. Obviously, for m1, we have m1*a2 = T1. The pulley is also easy, with 2T1 = T2. And from there the solution is not difficult. When I asked my teacher this question, he showed me the answer in the teachers manual, and this is also how it was solved there.

But I am uncomfortable with this. If the second law truly applies here, then it seems to me the correct equation should be:

m1*g - T1 = m1*a1

Which also reflects the physical reality, I think. If we are on the moon, complete vacuum, no air resistance, we would still have to over come inertia (m1*g, right?) to get a body moving. It certainly seems wrong to me that T1=m1*a1, this should be a net force of zero, and result in equilibrium, and yet the system is accelerating, so there should be some force.

I thought that perhaps this is actually a third law issue, equal and opposite forces. But I have also always thought that the third law applies only to contact forces. "A pin pushes against the finger, the finger pushes against the pin.." That sort of thing. And, of course, the situation with mass 1 is always described as a 2nd law case.

The pulley issue is sort of the same. I can get past this by thinking of it as an internal force. But again, when it is described as a 2nd law application, I balk.

Sorry this is so long, but I have long wondered about it, but didn't want to appear stupid. Too late now, right? :-)

I have another confusion about inertial frames, but I think I have bared my soul enough for one night. I hope someone can clarify this for me, and I deeply appreciate all efforts.

Thanks a lot!
Dorothy

Attachments

• SerwayJewettPulley.bmp
    62.7 KB · Views: 477
Physics news on Phys.org
Dorothy Weglend said:
But I am uncomfortable with this. If the second law truly applies here, then it seems to me the correct equation should be:

m1*g - T1 = m1*a1

Remember that force and acceleration are vectors, so that Newton's second law is a vector equation. This vector equation can be broken down component equations.

What two forces are missing from your free-body diagram for m1?

Once you put in these forces, you can write Newton's second law as two equations, one for the vertical direction and one for the horizontal direction.

George Jones said:
Remember that force and acceleration are vectors, so that Newton's second law is a vector equation. This vector equation can be broken down component equations.

What two forces are missing from your free-body diagram for m1?

Once you put in these forces, you can write Newton's second law as two equations, one for the vertical direction and one for the horizontal direction.

Hi George, thanks. I left out the m1g vertically down and the normal force because it is a frictionless surface. So is this the answer to my question? m1*a1 = T1 because there is no resistance (either friction or air) to the motion of m1?

I find this runs against my intuition, but I can see that it makes sense. So if I wanted to accelerate a 2kg mass 2 m/s^2, it would take a 4 N 'push' (or pull) on the eart or the moon? (Assuming a frictionless, horizontal surface).

Is this right?

Thanks,
Dorothy

Related to What forces are missing from the free-body diagram for m1?

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are a set of three fundamental principles that explain how objects move and interact with each other. They were first described by Sir Isaac Newton in his book "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica" (Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy) in 1687.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. This means that objects tend to resist changes in their motion.

3. What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate for a given force.

4. What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

5. How are Newton's Laws applicable to everyday life?

Newton's Laws of Motion are applicable to various aspects of everyday life, from the movement of objects on a table to the motion of planets in the solar system. For example, the first law explains why a book will remain at rest on a table until someone picks it up, and the third law explains how rockets are able to launch into space by pushing against the ground with a powerful force.