What Forces are Involved in Newton's Laws of Motion for Two Bodies on a Table?

In summary, the problem involves finding the reaction of the floor on a smooth-topped table with masses m1 and m2 on it while they are in motion. The forces acting include tension, weight, normal reaction force, and possibly friction. The movement of m2 does not affect the normal reaction force and the question does not specify which mass is heavier. However, friction is included in the given answer and is necessary to keep the table stationary. The reduced mass of m1 and m2 is (m1m2/m1+m2).
Harmony
Two bodies of masses m1 and m2, are released from the position shown in the figure. If the mass of the smooth-topped table is m3, find the reaction of the floor on the table while the two bodies are in motion. Assume the table does not move.

I attempt to find out all the forces acting. There's tension of the String, w1 and w2, w3, normal reaction force and maybe friction. But how does movement of m2 has anything to do with the normal reaction force?

Attachments

• figure7.bmp
    99.8 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
did they which of m1 or m2 is heavier?

is there any friction present at all?

vijay123 said:

That should be irrelevant.

vijay123 said:
is there any friction present at all?

Since the problem says that the table is "smooth-topped" we should assume that there is no friction.

it would be relevant if friction wus present.
anyway, i think that if the table stay at one place, then the reactive force of the floor would be g(m1+m2+m3). that wut i think but i am not very sure at alll!

vijay123 said:
As d_leet states this is irrelavent.

Last edited:
yea, you can the ans to my ques from the problem...sorry...my mistake

I am not sure whether friction is present or not. The answer given is ((m1m2/m1+m2)+m2+m3)g. And friction is include in the answer. The friction is m1m2g/m1+m2

Why is friction involved since the table is smooth? Is there something wrong with the question?

And yes, it is not stated whether m1 is greater than m2 or not.

The quantity:

[tex] \frac{m_1 m_2} {m_1+m_2} [/tex]

is in fact the reduced mass of the masses m1 and m2.

Hopefully this hint will help you answer the question.

Last edited:
Friction is needed between the table and the floor, in order to keep the table stationary with respect to the floor.

Related to What Forces are Involved in Newton's Laws of Motion for Two Bodies on a Table?

What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are a set of three fundamental principles that describe how objects move in relation to the forces acting on them. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are still used today to understand and predict the motion of objects.

What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This means that objects will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed unless a force is applied to change their motion.

What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate under the same force.

What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object. This is why we can push against the ground to move forward, and why rockets work by pushing gas out of their engines.

How are Newton's Laws of Motion used in everyday life?

Newton's Laws of Motion can be seen in a variety of everyday situations, such as riding a bike, throwing a ball, or driving a car. They are also used in engineering and design to create structures and machines that function properly and safely. Understanding these laws can also help us make predictions and solve problems related to motion in our daily lives.