What font for the unicode used at PF?

• Thread starter rcgldr
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the font needed to view all the unicode symbols used on Physics Forums. The speaker is currently using Times New Roman, but still sees occasional square blocks. They mention that PF may not filter the content that people post and suggest using Arial as it has more characters. However, they also mention that their memory may not be reliable.
rcgldr
Homework Helper
I'm running IE8. What font do I need to see all the unicode symbols used here at Physics Forums? I'm currently using Times New Roman, which gets most of them, but I still see occasional square blocks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you will always get some square blocks, as I doubt PF filters the content the people post - as long as it is not part of the input sanitizing. I am using Arial and I don't remember seeing squares at PF - but first, I am not sure it is the standard Microsoft font file as I remember needing some additional characters and googling for the extended font, second, just because I don't remember something doesn't mean much, as my wife would be happy to confirm.

Related to What font for the unicode used at PF?

What font is used for the unicode at PF?

The font used for the unicode at PF (Physics Forums) is called "DejaVu Sans" which is a free and open-source font.

Why is "DejaVu Sans" chosen as the font for the unicode at PF?

The "DejaVu Sans" font was chosen for its extensive coverage of unicode characters, making it suitable for displaying various mathematical and scientific symbols frequently used on the forum.

Can I change the font for the unicode at PF?

Yes, you can change the font for the unicode at PF on your end by adjusting the font settings on your web browser. However, the default font for the forum will still be "DejaVu Sans".

Are there any other fonts that can be used for the unicode at PF?

Yes, there are other fonts that can be used for the unicode at PF. However, "DejaVu Sans" is the recommended font as it is specifically designed for displaying unicode characters and is widely supported.

Does the font for the unicode at PF affect the functionality of the forum?

No, the font used for the unicode at PF does not affect the functionality of the forum. It only affects the visual appearance of the characters displayed on the forum.