What experiments can I do at home to learn about magnets and electricity?

• Thread starter James lajoie jr
  • Start date
In summary, there are several experiments that can be done at home to learn about magnets and electricity. One experiment involves using a compass to observe the magnetic field around a magnet. Another experiment involves creating a simple electromagnet using a battery, wire, and iron nail. Additionally, you can experiment with different materials to see how they affect the strength of an electromagnet. Another fun experiment involves building a simple motor using a battery, magnets, and wire. These experiments can help you understand the basic principles of magnetism and electricity and can be easily done at home with common household items.
James lajoie jr
Over the past few years I have grown more, and more interested in some simple physics concepts. I've begun making home made electromagnets out of copper wire, screws, bolts and 9 volt batteries. But the more i think about magnets. And electricity, the more questions i get. I hope my time on this website will help me awnser these questions. And perhaps find ways to awnser the questions myself through the proper experiments. Again i must use only house hold items.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi James lajoie jr.
smiley_sign_welcome.gif

Home experimentation can be a great learning experience!

Here's a related investigation you could try—see the final post.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/forces-acting-on-bar-magnet-inside-a-charged-solenoid.890636/

Rechargeable NiMH cells are well-suited to powering electromagnets. ➿

Welcome to the PF, James. :smile: