What does traction free mean?

In summary: But it's not completely without stress, there is some kind of residual stress that still exists.Thanks for the reply!In summary, "traction free" means that there is no stress or force applied to the boundary condition in question.
leoflc
What does "traction free" mean?

Is it a boundary condiction that there's no stress action on that boundary?

Or...?

Thanks a lot!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It would probably depend on the context, but it sounds like 'frictionless' to me.

Thanks for the reply!
But I have seen it in "finding stress" type of problem.
Not quite sure how to fit "frictionless" into it..

Maybe there are other meaning?

There probably is, which is why I mentioned the context. I've never seen that term used before. Can you give an example of a problem which mentions it?

I can't really find any good example.
But I often heard when people say something like:

"Drilled a round hold in the middle of an infinite big plate. If a point that was at 3oc' position of the hold was picked (on the edge), the negative x-direction of the point is traction free."

I can't really explain it very well, hope that will work..

Thanks a lot!

Traction sounds like it is longitudinal force in your example. It kind of fits if you think of traction, as in a person in a hospital bed "in traction." It is pretty lousy terminology if you ask me.

I think that traction refers to force applied tangent to a surface.

Thanks for the replies..
So it's probably referring some kinda of direction with no force/stress, or no stress on the surface..?

That kind of makes sense.

Traction is a well defined term in mechanics.

However, I can't quite remember what it is.

Stingray touched on it. It's a vector quantity, but it has to be specific to a surface (ie you can't translate it along the vector's direction). Note that a surface doesn't have to be a literal surface, - it can also refer to an imaginary surface taken by sectioning the solid.

If you have a tractionless boundary condition, then loosely yes, there is no stress applied on the surface boundary in question.

Related to What does traction free mean?

"Traction free" refers to a condition or state in which there is no external force or resistance acting on an object or system. In other words, the object is not being pulled, pushed, or restrained by any outside influence.

How is "traction free" different from "frictionless"?

While both terms refer to a lack of external force, "traction free" specifically refers to a lack of applied force, while "frictionless" refers to a lack of resistance or frictional force. A system can be traction free without being frictionless if there is still some internal friction present.

What are some examples of systems that can be considered "traction free"?

Objects in outer space, such as satellites or planets, can be considered traction free since they are not subject to any external forces. Similarly, objects in free-fall or in a vacuum can also be considered traction free.

How is "traction free" relevant in the field of mechanics?

In mechanics, "traction free" is an important concept in understanding the motion and equilibrium of objects. It allows for the simplification of equations and analysis of systems without the need to account for external forces. This concept is particularly relevant in the study of rigid bodies and fluids.

Can a system ever truly be "traction free"?

In reality, it is nearly impossible for a system to be completely traction free as there is always some level of external force or resistance. However, in theoretical or ideal scenarios, "traction free" can be used as a simplifying assumption to make calculations and analysis easier.