What does this symbol mean (partial derivatives)

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying that the vector of partial derivatives of g(x,y) at (0,0) is equal to 0. The expression for ∇g is provided and the question is clarified. It is determined that plugging in x=0 and y=0 would result in a zero vector, confirming the initial statement.
Firepanda
Question : g(x,y) = x^3 - 3x^2 + 5xy - 7y^2

Verify that ∇g(0,0) = 0

I looked on wiki and it said the vector of partial derivatives, so my g(x,y) would become

∇g = (3x^2 - 6x + 5y, 5x -14y)

so what do i do from here? i don't see what its asking, do i plug x and y as 0 and show I get 0? Where do i plug them into?

Physics news on Phys.org
Firepanda said:
so what do i do from here? i don't see what its asking, do i plug x and y as 0 and show I get 0? Where do i plug them into?
You plug them into the expression for ∇g. That's what ∇g(0,0) mean. What would you get then? Note that your final answer is a vector.

Defennder said:
You plug them into the expression for ∇g. That's what ∇g(0,0) mean. What would you get then? Note that your final answer is a vector.

so just a zero vector?

Yes, that's what you should get as the question said.

Related to What does this symbol mean (partial derivatives)

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in calculus to describe the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is denoted by ∂ and is commonly used in multivariable calculus.

2. How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A partial derivative differs from a regular derivative in that it only considers the change in one variable, while holding all other variables constant. A regular derivative, on the other hand, considers the change in the entire function with respect to one variable.

3. What does the symbol ∂ represent in a partial derivative?

The symbol ∂ represents the partial derivative operator. It is used to indicate that the derivative is being taken with respect to a specific variable, while holding all other variables constant.

4. What does the notation ∂f/∂x mean?

The notation ∂f/∂x represents the partial derivative of a function f with respect to the variable x. It is read as "the partial derivative of f with respect to x" and indicates the rate of change of f with respect to x while holding all other variables constant.

5. How are partial derivatives used in real-world applications?

Partial derivatives are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and economics, to model and analyze complex systems. They can be used to find optimal solutions, determine rates of change, and make predictions about the behavior of a system. For example, they are used in economics to analyze the impact of different factors on a company's profit, and in physics to calculate the velocity of a moving particle in a three-dimensional space.