What does the N mean in a Cauchy sequence definition?

In summary, a Cauchy sequence is a sequence in which the terms get closer and closer together as the index of the terms go to infinity. The "N" in the definition represents the cutoff point at which the terms are considered to be near, and it may depend on the closeness (ε) chosen.
Scott4775
What does the "N" mean in a Cauchy sequence definition?

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding Cauchy sequences. I am trying to teach myself real analysis and would appreciate any clarification anyone has regarding my question.

I believe I have an intuitive understanding of what a Cauchy sequence means: given any ε>0 the difference between the terms in a sequence approaches zero as the index of the terms (n,m) go to infinity. In other words, as one looks at larger and larger terms, the terms get closer and closer together. (Please pardon that I'm not fluent in Latex).

Many of the definitions say something about "...given an ε>0, there exists an N such that..."

What does the "N" mean. What is its significance in the definition of a Cauchy sequence?

I hope this was explained well enough and I appreciate all help!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Scott4775 said:
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding Cauchy sequences. I am trying to teach myself real analysis and would appreciate any clarification anyone has regarding my question.

I believe I have an intuitive understanding of what a Cauchy sequence means: given any ε>0 the difference between the terms in a sequence approaches zero as the index of the terms (n,m) go to infinity. In other words, as one looks at larger and larger terms, the terms get closer and closer together. (Please pardon that I'm not fluent in Latex).

Many of the definitions say something about "...given an ε>0, there exists an N such that..."

What does the "N" mean. What is its significance in the definition of a Cauchy sequence?

I hope this was explained well enough and I appreciate all help!

Thanks!

You summed that up pretty well. As you said "get closer and closer together", ε is how close they are. And as you said "one looks at larger and larger (n,m)", N is how large they have to be to be that close. The formal definition just sums up exactly what you said in words.

N which may depend upon epsilon is the cutoff beyond which terms are near. All but some finite number of the infinite points in the sequence are near (|xn-xm|<epsilon). If n and m are both>N then |xn-xm|<epsilon, if not this may not hold.

Thank you both for your responses. Both of you have cleared up any confusion that I had. I really appreciate it. I searched online but couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for in plain language. :)

Thanks again!

Related to What does the N mean in a Cauchy sequence definition?

1. What is the N in a Cauchy sequence definition?

The N in a Cauchy sequence definition represents the number of terms in the sequence. It is often referred to as the "index" or "term number".

2. Why is the N important in a Cauchy sequence?

The N is important because it allows us to define the terms of the sequence and determine the pattern and behavior of the sequence. It also helps us understand the convergence or divergence of the sequence.

3. How is the N used in the Cauchy sequence definition?

In the Cauchy sequence definition, the N is used to represent the distance between two terms in the sequence. This helps us determine if the sequence is "close enough" to be considered a Cauchy sequence.

4. Can the N be any number in a Cauchy sequence definition?

No, the N must be a positive integer. This is because the index of a sequence cannot be a negative number or a fraction.

5. Is the N always increasing in a Cauchy sequence definition?

No, the N does not necessarily have to be increasing. In some cases, the N may repeat or stay the same for certain terms in the sequence. However, the overall trend should show an increase in the N as the sequence progresses.