What does the complex number 1/2*(1+i) represent in linear mapping?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of complex numbers and their representation in the complex plane, specifically in relation to the center of a circle. The equation (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2 was mentioned as well as the concept of modulus or absolute value.
loy

Homework Statement

i recently saw a question about complex number, and its answer about the center of a circle is 1/2*(1+i). what does that mean?

Homework Equations

f:ℂ → ℝ^2

The Attempt at a Solution

since we define z=x+yi is an element of ℂ, so by the mapping above,
we can say that f:ℂ→ℝ^2 = f(x+yi)=(x,y)?
and by the inverse function of f,which is f-1(x,y)→(x+yi)?
From the statement above, f-1(1/2,1/2)=1/2+i/2 =1/2*(1+i) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
help me ~~~

Yes, that is the "complex plane" where we represent the complex number z= x+iy by the point (x, y). So the number 1/2(1+ i)= 1/2+ (1/2)i is represented by the point (1/2, 1/2).

A circle with center at (a, b) and radius r has equation [itex](x- a)^2+ (y- b)^2= r^2[/itex] so a circle with center at (1/2, 1/2) has equation [itex](x- 1/2)^2+ (y- 1/2)^2= r^2[/itex]. You may also know that the "modulus" or "absolute value" of z= x+ iy is [itex]|z|= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex] so that circle can also be written as [itex]|z- (1/2)(1+ i)|= r[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks very much
=)

Related to What does the complex number 1/2*(1+i) represent in linear mapping?

1. What is linear mapping?

Linear mapping, also known as linear transformation, is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a linear fashion. It preserves the operations of addition and scalar multiplication, and can be represented by a matrix multiplication.

2. How is linear mapping used in science?

Linear mapping is commonly used in science, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to model and analyze various systems and processes, and is especially useful in solving problems involving multiple variables.

3. What are the properties of linear mapping?

Linear mapping has several important properties, including linearity (preserving addition and scalar multiplication), homogeneity (preserving the origin), and preservation of linear combinations. It also has a unique inverse for every input, and can be represented by a matrix.

4. How is linear mapping different from nonlinear mapping?

The main difference between linear and nonlinear mapping is that linear mapping involves a direct relationship between the input and output, while nonlinear mapping has a more complex relationship that is not proportional to the input. Nonlinear mapping can involve functions such as exponential, logarithmic, or trigonometric functions, while linear mapping is limited to simple operations.

5. What are some real-life applications of linear mapping?

Linear mapping has many real-life applications, such as in computer graphics, image processing, data compression, and machine learning. It is also used in physics to model physical systems, in economics to analyze supply and demand curves, and in statistics to perform linear regression analysis.