What does spin quantum number mean?

In summary, The spin quantum number has two possible values, 1/2 or -1/2, which represent the two possible measurement results when measuring the spin of a spin-1/2 particle. This value is associated with two quantum numbers, the magnitude and the projection on the z-axis. There are two types of particles, fermions with half-integer spin and bosons with integer spin, and the unit of spin is Planck's constant (h-bar). This concept was first discovered in the 1920s and is a crucial aspect of quantum mechanics, which can be explored further through various resources such as Hyperphysics or introductory books on QM.
Eve Litman
A spin quantum number can have a value of 1/2 or -1/2. I assume that the negative means that these two spins are in opposite directions. However, what does the 1/2 mean? Why 1/2, rather than a whole integer? Are there some sort of units associated with this value?

Physics news on Phys.org
To be more precise, there are two quantum numbers associated with spin, i.e. the magnitude and the projection on the ##z##-axis. There are two kinds of particles, namely fermions having half-integer spin and bosons which have integer spin. The unit of spin is ##\hbar##.

eys_physics said:
To be more precise, there are two quantum numbers associated with spin, i.e. the magnitude and the projection on the ##z##-axis. There are two kinds of particles, namely fermions having half-integer spin and bosons which have integer spin. The unit of spin is ##\hbar##.
Are there SI base units associated with that unit? And what does an integer versus half integer spin truly mean?
Also, thanks for the reply!

Eve Litman said:
A spin quantum number can have a value of 1/2 or -1/2. I assume that the negative means that these two spins are in opposite directions.

You're not talking about two spins. You're talking about one spin. The two quantum numbers are the two possible measurement results when you measure the spin of a spin-1/2 particle (like an electron) along a particular direction.

Eve Litman said:
Why 1/2, rather than a whole integer?

Now you've opened a real can of worms. :wink: The short answer is that, in quantum mechanics, if we rotate a particle with spin, its quantum state changes, and the "spin" of the particle describes how it changes. For a 360 degree rotation, the phase of the particle's wave function changes by ##2 \pi## times the spin.

When QM was first discovered, physicists thought that spins could only be integers, which would mean that a complete 360 degree rotation would change the phase by an integer multiple of ##2 \pi##. Since phases are angles, that is the same as not changing the phase at all. But in the 1920s, as more experiments were done to explore the properties of quantum particles like electrons, it became apparent that electrons had a peculiar property: a complete 360 degree rotation multiplied the wave function by ##-1## (instead of ##1##). That corresponds to the phase changing by only ##\pi## for a 360 degree rotation, which means a spin of 1/2.

There is a lot more here, as I implied above; this subject is really too much for a PF discussion. But the above is the gist of it.

Eve Litman said:
Are there SI base units associated with that unit?

The SI units of spin are the SI units of Planck's constant.

Likes QuantumQuest
The SI unit of ##\hbar## is ##J\cdot s##. Well, if you have a quantum-mechanical state ##|s m>## which is an eigenstate of the spin operator ##\hat{s}##, you have the relations
$$\hat{s}^2|s m>= s(s+1)\hbar^2 |s m>,$$
and
$$\hat{s}_z |s m>= m\hbar |s m>$$.

The wave function of a two-fermion state is antisymmetric under exchange of the of the two particles, whereas a two-boson is symmetric.

Thank you for the thorough response. I get the gist of this, but I don't know enough about quantum mechanics to fully understand. Could you refer me to a good resource to learn more about these concepts?

I would recommend to start with an introductory book on QM, e.g. Griffiths "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics", especially chapters 4 and 5 of that book could be useful.

Related to What does spin quantum number mean?

1. What is the spin quantum number?

The spin quantum number is a quantum number that describes the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. It is represented by the symbol "s" and can have only two possible values: +1/2 or -1/2.

2. How does the spin quantum number relate to spin?

The spin quantum number is directly related to the concept of spin, which is a fundamental property of particles. The magnitude of the spin quantum number determines the amount of angular momentum a particle possesses, while its sign (+ or -) indicates the direction of spin.

3. What is the significance of the spin quantum number in atomic structure?

In atomic structure, the spin quantum number plays a crucial role in determining the electronic configuration of atoms. It is used to distinguish between different orbitals and is closely related to the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two electrons in an atom can have the same set of quantum numbers.

4. How is the spin quantum number measured?

The spin quantum number is not a measurable quantity. It is a fundamental property of particles that is used to describe their behavior and interactions. However, the effects of spin can be observed and measured through experiments such as the Stern-Gerlach experiment.

5. Can the spin quantum number change?

No, the spin quantum number is considered an intrinsic property of particles and cannot be changed. In other words, it is a constant value for a given particle and is not affected by external factors such as magnetic fields or interactions with other particles.