What Does RGV Stand For in Casual Communication?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the determinants of matrices A, B, and their product AB. It is stated that if AB equals zero, then either A or B must also equal zero. The conversation then discusses the realization of this relationship and concludes with the realization that det(A)det(B)=det(AB). RGV is mentioned as a signature at the end of the conversation.
Hernaner28
Hi. I have the following sentence:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
A,B \in {M_{nxn}}\\
A \ne 0\\
B \ne 0\\
{\rm{if }}AB = 0{\rm{ then}}\\
{\rm{|A| = 0 or |B| = 0}}
\end{array}[/tex]

I know this is true but how can I realize? Just thinking about an example?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you express the determinant of AB in terms of those of A and B?

Hernaner28 said:
Hi. I have the following sentence:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
A,B \in {M_{nxn}}\\
A \ne 0\\
B \ne 0\\
{\rm{if }}AB = 0{\rm{ then}}\\
{\rm{|A| = 0 or |B| = 0}}
\end{array}[/tex]

I know this is true but how can I realize? Just thinking about an example?

Thanks!

Do you know the relationship between [itex] \det(A), \det(B) \text{ and } \det(AB)?[/itex]

RGV

Oh yes, it was incredibly simple: det(A)det(B)=det(AB) so det(A)det(B)=det(0) . I did one like this for symetric ones and I just didn't realize I could do the same here!
Thank you guys!

edit. What's RGV?

Hernaner28 said:
Oh yes, it was incredibly simple: det(A)det(B)=det(AB) so det(A)det(B)=det(0) . I did one like this for symetric ones and I just didn't realize I could do the same here!
Thank you guys!

edit. What's RGV?

It's a signature, the equivalent of "10-4 Good Buddy" or "over and out".

RGV

Related to What Does RGV Stand For in Casual Communication?

1. What is the property of determinants?

The property of determinants is a mathematical rule that states that the determinant of a square matrix remains unchanged when the rows and columns are interchanged. This means that the value of the determinant remains the same even if the order of the elements in the matrix is changed.

2. Why is the property of determinants important?

The property of determinants is important because it allows us to simplify the process of calculating the determinant of a matrix. By rearranging the rows and columns, we can often create a matrix with simpler elements, making it easier to calculate the determinant.

3. How does the property of determinants help solve equations?

The property of determinants is useful in solving systems of linear equations. By finding the determinant of the coefficient matrix, we can determine if the system has a unique solution, infinitely many solutions, or no solution at all.

4. Can the property of determinants be applied to non-square matrices?

No, the property of determinants only applies to square matrices. A square matrix has the same number of rows and columns, whereas a non-square matrix has a different number of rows and columns.

5. Are there other properties of determinants?

Yes, there are other important properties of determinants, such as the scalar multiple property, which states that multiplying any row or column of a matrix by a constant also multiplies the determinant by that constant. Another property is the sum property, which states that adding a multiple of one row or column to another row or column does not change the value of the determinant.