What does moment of inertia depend on?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of moment of inertia and whether it depends on the mass of the object. The initial belief is that it does, but Professor Lewin states that it does not. However, there is some confusion about whether he actually mentions the term "moment of inertia" in the video, and the conversation ultimately ends with a suggestion to close or move the thread.
avito009
I thought moment of inertia depends on mass of the object and also its shape. But prof Lewin says it doesn't depend on mass. See this video:

Physics news on Phys.org
avito009 said:
I thought moment of inertia depends on mass of the object and also its shape. But prof Lewin says it doesn't depend on mass.
No, he does not say that.

This doesn't regard the inertial moment much.

He says no such thing, You've wasted fifteen minutes of my time. I hope you got your laughs from that.

avito009 said:
But prof Lewin says it doesn't depend on mass.
Not quite. He does demonstrate that the acceleration does not depend on the mass.

Not even sure he mentions the term 'moment of inertia' at all in that video.

Vanadium 50 said:
He says no such thing, You've wasted fifteen minutes of my time. I hope you got your laughs from that.
This is so funny! On the assumption that every post deserves some sort of response..Dont read this. Sorry.. Too late
But seriously, does your 15 minutes 'wasted' time include the time needed to make your post?

No, just watching the 15 minute video.

Vanadium 50 said:

You should have told him that the answer to his question is somewhere in the folloing lecture:

I don't think this thread serves any purpose any more. It should probably be closed or moved out of view.

Related to What does moment of inertia depend on?

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of a rotating object that describes its resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is also known as rotational inertia.

2. What does moment of inertia depend on?

Moment of inertia depends on two factors: the mass of the object and the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation. Objects with more mass or with their mass distributed farther from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia.

3. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of an object can be calculated by summing the individual moments of inertia of all its component parts. The formula for moment of inertia is I = Σmr², where m is the mass of each component and r is the distance of each component from the axis of rotation.

4. Does moment of inertia change with the shape of an object?

Yes, moment of inertia is affected by the shape of an object. Objects with more mass distributed farther from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia, meaning that the shape of an object can impact its moment of inertia.

5. Why is moment of inertia important?

Moment of inertia is important in understanding the behavior and stability of rotating objects. It is used in many areas of physics and engineering, such as in the design of machinery, vehicles, and structures that involve rotational motion. It also plays a crucial role in the conservation of angular momentum.