What does l represent in the radial Schrodinger equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum value of Vo that allows for a bound state of energy and zero angular momentum in a particle with mass m and potential V(r). The person asks about the representation of l in the radial Shrodinger equation and then proceeds to solve the equation for the case of l=0. They obtain two solutions for r<a and r>a and use boundary conditions to find a relation between β and k. The other person suggests letting E → 0 in both β and k, which leads to βa=-π/2.
Dassinia
Hi,

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m has a potential
V(r)= -Vo r<a
0 r>a

Find the minimum value of Vo for which there's a bound state of energy and angular momentum are zero by solving shrodinger equation for E<0 and taking the limit E-> 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to know what does l represent in the radial shrodinger equation ? Is it the angular momentum ?
For now, I considered l=0 and solved Shrodinger equation
I got
r<a
u(r)=C*sin(βr) with β=sqrt(2m(Vo+E)/h²)
r>a
u(r)=Bexp(-kr) with k= sqrt(-2mE/h²)

With boundary conditions we have
-β/k=tan(βa)

Where am I supposed to use E->0 ..?
Is it just in β=sqrt(2m(Vo+E)/h²)
so that Vo=β²h²/2m ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to let E → 0 in both β and k.

So we have that k=0 and then ? I don't Know what i have to do then

Dassinia said:
So we have that k=0 and then ? I don't Know what i have to do then

What is the limit of β/k as E → 0? What does that tell you about the quantity βa in tan(βa)?

We have tan(aβ)= -β/k=-sqrt(-1-Vo/E)
so when E-> 0-
tan(aβ)=-infinity
so βa=-pi/2 ?

Last edited:
Dassinia said:
We have tan(aβ)= -β/k=-sqrt(-1-Vo/E)
so when E-> 0-
tan(aβ)=-infinity
so βa=-pi/2 ?

Yes, except for the sign. β is a positive quantity.

OK Thank you !

Related to What does l represent in the radial Schrodinger equation?

1. What is potential value in physics?

Potential value refers to the amount of energy that an object or system has based on its position or configuration. In physics, it is often represented by the symbol V and can be either positive or negative depending on the type of potential (e.g. gravitational, electric) being considered.

2. How is potential value related to bound states?

In quantum mechanics, a bound state is a state in which a particle is confined to a certain region due to the presence of a potential barrier. The potential value of this barrier determines the energy levels and stability of the bound state. A higher potential value will result in a higher energy state and a more stable bound state.

3. What are examples of bound states in nature?

One example of a bound state is the electron in an atom, which is bound by the potential of the positively charged nucleus. Another example is a proton and neutron in the nucleus of an atom, which are bound by the strong nuclear force. Bound states can also exist in molecules, nuclei, and even in the formation of stars and galaxies.

4. How do scientists calculate potential value in a system?

The potential value in a system can be calculated using mathematical equations and models, depending on the type of potential being considered. For example, the potential value of an object in a gravitational field can be calculated using the equation V = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the gravitational acceleration, and h is the height of the object.

5. Can potential value change over time?

Yes, potential value can change over time. In a dynamic system, the potential energy of an object can change as its position or configuration changes. For example, the potential value of an object in a spring can increase as the spring is compressed and decrease as the spring is stretched. Additionally, potential value can also change due to external factors such as the motion of other objects or the presence of external forces.