What does it mean to move a differential?

In summary: It is a bit more complicated than that, but in a nutshell, it is just like single variable calculus, except you differentiate with respect to more than one variable at a time.
helixkirby
Not a homework question, I'm just curious, I know this has been asked a few times, but what exactly is happening when you move dx over to the other side of dy/dx=f'(x), is it like the point slope form ∆y=m∆x, or is it applying the differential to both sides, I've always been told a rigorous proof was necessary to show you could "multiply by dx", could someone possibly show me a proof of it, or even just explain why it works?

Physics news on Phys.org
The way i ve been taught Leibniz's notation is by the definition of the differential of a function.

The differential df of a function f, is the function ##df(\tau,x)=f'(x)\tau## where ##\tau## is a variable independent of the variable x. However where things "go messy" with the notation is on the next step:

Consider the differential di of the identity function i(x)=x. It will be ##di(\tau,x)=i'(x)\tau=\tau## so if we allow the notation ##di(\tau,x)=dx(\tau,x)## (because i(x)=x) we end up with ##dx(\tau,x)=\tau## or abbreviated ##dx=\tau##. It is important to notice that ##dx## simply stands for the differential of the identity function.

So going back to ##df(\tau,x)=f'(x)\tau## and using the fact that ##dx=\tau## we end up with ##df(\tau,x)=f'(x)dx(\tau,x)## or in compact notation ##df=f'dx##. Dont forget that on this last equation on the RHS we have an ordinary multiplication of two functions (the function f' and the function dx) so we can write it as ##\frac{df}{dx}=f'##.

Just to clear a thing, dx is independent of x, it is essentially the independent variable ##\tau##.

Last edited:
Could you possibly show it in single variable, I just took the calc BC test and don't really know much about multi-variable calculus yet.

Well it is essentially one variable calculus, ##\tau## is some sort of "artificial" variable to do the trick, we differentiate only with respect to x.

What you are used to thinking of as single variable calculus is "really" a shorthand way of doing the thing Delta2 did in post #3.
You are not normally taught that stuff at your level because you are not used to thinking like that yet, so you get taught the shortcuts and rules without rigor.

Well, hopefully I get a 4 or 5 on my ap test, I actually did it instead of the ab test I was supposed to take, I really struggled with series though. Hopefully I can skip calc 2 in college. Multivariable sounds fun.

Related to What does it mean to move a differential?

1. What is a differential?

A differential is a mechanical device that allows the wheels of a vehicle to rotate at different speeds while transferring power from the engine to the wheels. It is an essential component of a vehicle's drivetrain system.

2. What does it mean to "move a differential"?

When we talk about moving a differential, we are referring to the process of physically changing the position or location of the differential within the drivetrain system. This can involve removing and replacing the differential or adjusting its position to improve the vehicle's performance.

3. Why would someone need to move a differential?

There are several reasons why someone might need to move a differential. One common reason is to replace a worn or damaged differential with a new one. Another reason could be to adjust the position of the differential to improve the vehicle's handling or performance.

4. How is a differential moved?

Moving a differential typically involves removing the differential from the vehicle's drivetrain system, which can require specialized tools and equipment. Once removed, the differential can be replaced or adjusted as needed. The process can vary depending on the type of vehicle and the specific reason for moving the differential.

5. Can I move a differential on my own?

Moving a differential can be a complex and technical process, so it is recommended to have a trained professional handle the task. They will have the necessary knowledge, tools, and experience to safely and effectively move the differential without causing any further damage to the vehicle.