What does it mean to have an complex transmission angle?

In summary, the conversation discusses a complex number being obtained for the transmission angle in part (c) of a problem, and the confusion surrounding its meaning and how to use it. It also mentions the concept of a surface wave and its effect on the E field vector. The speaker also asks for help and clarification on the proper method for calculating Ktz.
thatsmessedup
I am getting a complex number for my transmission angle in part (c) but I do not know what that means. Am I even doing this correctly? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Capture.PNG

20191026_140532.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
thatsmessedup said:
I am getting a complex number for my transmission angle in part (c) but I do not know what that means. Am I even doing this correctly? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

View attachment 251875
View attachment 251876
When a wave crosses between media, we can see a surface wave. This is a guided wave traveling along the interface, having a field component in the direction of propagation. This component is in quadrature to the main wave. In effect, the E field vector becomes an ellipse.

Likes thatsmessedup
So to get my Ktz, I will plug the complex number into cos(), slap a K0 in front and call it a day?

Related to What does it mean to have an complex transmission angle?

1. What is a complex transmission angle?

A complex transmission angle refers to the angle at which a wave or signal is transmitted from one medium to another, where the angle is not a simple or straightforward value. It may involve multiple angles or a combination of angles, making it more difficult to calculate or understand.

2. How is a complex transmission angle different from a simple transmission angle?

A simple transmission angle is a single angle that represents the direction of a wave or signal as it passes from one medium to another. A complex transmission angle, on the other hand, involves multiple angles or a combination of angles, making it more complex to analyze and interpret.

3. What factors can contribute to a complex transmission angle?

Several factors can contribute to a complex transmission angle, including changes in the refractive index of the medium, the angle of incidence, and the nature of the interface between the two mediums. The presence of multiple mediums or interfaces can also contribute to a complex transmission angle.

4. Why is understanding complex transmission angles important in science?

Understanding complex transmission angles is important in science because it allows us to accurately predict and analyze the behavior of waves and signals as they pass through different mediums. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as optics, acoustics, and telecommunications, where precise control and manipulation of waves and signals is necessary.

5. How can complex transmission angles be calculated or measured?

Complex transmission angles can be calculated or measured using various mathematical formulas and techniques, depending on the specific scenario. These may include Snell's Law, the Fresnel equations, or other methods. In some cases, advanced equipment such as spectrometers or interferometers may be used to measure complex transmission angles.