What Does FWHM of a Velocity Distribution Reveal?

In summary, FWHM is a measure of the spread of a distribution and is not a specific velocity. It is commonly used for symmetrical distributions, but may not accurately represent the most probable velocity, which is usually the mean. This can vary depending on the distribution, such as in the case of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution where the average and most probable velocities differ.
Carnot
Hi

FWHM on a velocity distribution provides me with a specific velocity. What does FWHM say about the velocity distribution, I mean, does FWHM give me the most probable velocity of the distribution or something like that?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Simon Bridge said:
The most probable velocity is usually the mean, like you'd expect.

No, that's the mode. It might or might not be anywhere near the mean.

Depends on the distribution aye - I'm used to FWHM being used for pretty symmetrical distributions though.

Consider the Maxwell-Boltzman distribution - surely a common (if not the most common) velocity distribution. It's not all that symmetrical - there's a long tail to the right, and thus the average and most probable velocities differ by a factor of 2/sqrt(pi).

Related to What Does FWHM of a Velocity Distribution Reveal?

1. What is FWHM of velocity distribution?

The FWHM (full width at half maximum) of velocity distribution is a measure of the spread or width of a distribution of velocities. It represents the range of velocities at which the distribution is at least half of its maximum value.

2. How is FWHM of velocity distribution calculated?

The FWHM of velocity distribution is calculated by finding the difference between the two points on the distribution curve where the value is half of the maximum. This is typically done by finding the points where the slope of the curve is equal to the slope at the maximum value.

3. What does a larger FWHM of velocity distribution indicate?

A larger FWHM of velocity distribution indicates a wider spread of velocities in the distribution. This could be due to a larger range of speeds or a more even distribution of velocities.

4. What factors can affect the FWHM of velocity distribution?

Several factors can affect the FWHM of velocity distribution, including the shape of the distribution curve, the presence of outliers, and the measurement precision of the velocities.

5. How is FWHM of velocity distribution used in scientific research?

The FWHM of velocity distribution is used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and astronomy. It can provide insights into the dynamics and properties of systems and is often used in data analysis and modeling to characterize and compare different distributions of velocities.