What Does Autocorrelation Reveal About Highly Peaked Functions?

This explains why the first approach gives 0 for A_1 while the second approach gives a nonzero value. It's because the second approach takes into account the discontinuity at \theta=0 which the first approach ignores. In summary, the auto-correlation function C(\theta) for a square-integrable real-valued function f(x) is not analytic and has a maximum at \theta=0, but if we approximate f(x) by an analytic function, we can still get a good approximation for C(\theta) near \theta=0.
stevendaryl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
If [itex]f(x)[/itex] is a square-integrable real-valued function on the reals, then we can define an auto-correlation function [itex]C(\theta)[/itex] via:

[itex]C(\theta) = \int dx f(x) f(x+\theta)[/itex]

I'm trying to get some insight on what
[itex]C(\theta)[/itex] is like, for small values of [itex]\theta[/itex] in the case in which [itex]f(x)[/itex] is highly peaked at [itex]x=0[/itex]; that is, [itex]f(x)[/itex] has a graph that looks roughly like this:

function.jpg

I don't actually have an analytic form for [itex]f(x)[/itex], so I can't explicitly do the integral, but I'm trying to get a qualitative feel for what the correlation function is like for such a function. I'm assuming that [itex]C(\theta)[/itex] can be approximated by a power series:
[itex]C(\theta) = A_0 + A_1 \theta + A_2 \theta^2 + \ldots[/itex]
The question is: is [itex]A_1[/itex] nonzero (and if so, what is its sign?)

I have two different approaches to get a qualitative answer that both seem reasonable, but they give different answers, and I'm wondering why.

First approach: Assume that you can take the derivative through the integral:

[itex]A_1 = \frac{d}{d \theta} C(\theta) |_{\theta = 0}
= \int dx f(x) f'(x)[/itex]

where [itex]f'(x) = \frac{d}{d \theta} f(x+\theta) |_{\theta = 0}[/itex]

It's immediately obvious that [itex]A_1 = 0[/itex], because [itex]f(x)[/itex] is an even function (let's assume that it is, anyway), so [itex]f'(x)[/itex] is an odd function, so the product is an odd function, and the integral of an odd function gives 0. So the conclusion is that [itex]C(\theta)[/itex] has no linear term near [itex]\theta = 0[/itex]

Second approach: Approximate [itex]f(x)[/itex] by a step-function. That is, we approximate [itex]f(x)[/itex] by the function [itex]\tilde{f}(x)[/itex] defined by:

[itex]\tilde{f}(x) = 0[/itex] if [itex]|x| > \epsilon[/itex]

[itex]\tilde{f}(x) = K[/itex] if [itex]|x| < \epsilon[/itex]

The use of this function gives the following auto-correlation:

[itex]\int dx \tilde{f}(x) \tilde{f}(x+\theta) = K^2 (2 \epsilon - \theta)[/itex]

With this approximation for [itex]f(x)[/itex], we get [itex]A_1 = -K^2[/itex], which is nonzero.

So if I assume that [itex]f(x)[/itex] is analytic, I get [itex]A_1 = 0[/itex], and if I assume that [itex]f(x)[/itex] is a step-function, I get [itex]A_1[/itex] is negative. Those two statements are not really contradictions, because a step function is not analytic. However, it seems to me that you can approximate a step function by an analytic function arbitrarily closely, so it seems that using such an approximation, I should get an approximation for [itex]C(\theta)[/itex] that is similar to the exact result for a step function.

So which argument is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your second approach assumed that [itex] \theta[/itex] was a positive number when doing the calculation for [itex] C(\theta)[/itex], the correct formula should be
[tex] K^2(2\epsilon - |\theta|) [/tex]

and we see that C is no longer analytic, but does have a maximum at theta=0 so the results are fairly similar

Office_Shredder said:
Your second approach assumed that [itex] \theta[/itex] was a positive number when doing the calculation for [itex] C(\theta)[/itex], the correct formula should be
[tex] K^2(2\epsilon - |\theta|) [/tex]

and we see that C is no longer analytic, but does have a maximum at theta=0 so the results are fairly similar

Thanks! That was what I was missing. If you approximate [itex]|\theta|[/itex] by an analytic function, it would have to have derivative 0 at [itex]\theta=0[/itex]

Related to What Does Autocorrelation Reveal About Highly Peaked Functions?

1. What is autocorrelation in statistics?

Autocorrelation, also known as serial correlation, is a measure of the correlation between a time series data and a lagged version of itself. It indicates the degree to which the values of a data point are related to the values of previous data points.

2. Why is autocorrelation important?

Autocorrelation is important because it can affect the accuracy of statistical analyses and predictions. It can indicate the presence of patterns and trends in data, and can also help identify any potential biases or errors in a dataset.

3. How is autocorrelation measured?

Autocorrelation is typically measured using a correlation coefficient, such as Pearson's correlation coefficient or Spearman's rank correlation coefficient. These coefficients range from -1 to 1, with 0 indicating no correlation, -1 indicating a perfect negative correlation, and 1 indicating a perfect positive correlation.

4. What are some methods for dealing with autocorrelation?

There are several methods for dealing with autocorrelation, including differencing, transforming the data, and using autoregressive models. Differencing involves subtracting each data point from a lagged version of itself, while transformations can include taking logarithms or square roots of the data. Autoregressive models involve using past values of a data point to predict future values.

5. How can autocorrelation affect statistical tests?

Autocorrelation can affect statistical tests by inflating or deflating the standard errors of the estimates, leading to incorrect conclusions. It can also affect the power and accuracy of statistical tests, making it important to account for autocorrelation in data analysis.