What do you think of 'Methods of Theoretical Physics' ?

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for a book as a first exposure to mathematical methods. The book in question is "Morse and Feshbach", but it is considered too advanced and dense for beginners. Other recommended books include "Boas, Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" and "Hassani, Mathematical Physics". The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding vector calculus for theoretical physics and suggests "Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics, vol. II (Fluid Dynamics)" as a good resource for this. Finally, the conversation mentions the relevance of the reader's background in multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations for understanding mathematical methods at a graduate level.
Rescy
Would you recommend this book as a first exposure to mathematical methods? How high a lever is this book of? Is it out-of-date or still quiet useful?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most people refer to science book by their author. If you don't mention the author, we have no idea which book you're talking about.

You are referring to Morse and Feshbach, no?

micromass said:
Most people refer to science book by their author. If you don't mention the author, we have no idea which book you're talking about.
Sorry, I will add the authors
Geofleur said:
You are referring to Morse and Feshbach, no?
Yes, Morse and Feshbach.
Is the book too advanced?

The mathematics within is not out of date, but the book is too big and too dense for a first exposure to mathematical methods of theoretical physics.
It's the sort of book you keep dear on a shelf like the MTW of General Relativity or the QM by Albert Messiah.

Likes Demystifier
Boas, "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences." is very commonly suggested here. If you use the SEARCH link at the top of this page to search for "Boas", and tick the box to restrict searches to this forum only, you'll turn up many discussions which include other books, e.g. Arfken.

It's one of the best books on the subject ever written. Maybe, it's too advanced for a first encounter with "Mathematical Methods", but it's pretty useful also as a reference work for practitioners. A very good and comprehensive book, including a lot of "culture" besides the pure technical aspects is

S. Hassani, Mathematical Physics, Springer

but it's also pretty advanced. I don't know the book by Boas very well, but it seems to be well received as an introductory textbook. Arfken&Weber seems to be more a reference than a usual textbook, because it's too brief on the proofs.

It's also useful to know, which particular subject(s) you want to learn at which level to give a more informed recommendation on textbooks.

vanhees71 said:
It's one of the best books on the subject ever written. Maybe, it's too advanced for a first encounter with "Mathematical Methods", but it's pretty useful also as a reference work for practitioners. A very good and comprehensive book, including a lot of "culture" besides the pure technical aspects is

but it's also pretty advanced. I don't know the book by Boas very well, but it seems to be well received as an introductory textbook. Arfken&Weber seems to be more a reference than a usual textbook, because it's too brief on the proofs.

It's also useful to know, which particular subject(s) you want to learn at which level to give a more informed recommendation on textbooks.
Thanks for your detailed reply!

I think I want to learn mathematical methods to a level which will enable me to understand graduate level physics. My current backgrounds are multivariable calculus, linear algebra and a bit of differential equation. I do not have understanding with regard to rigorous mathematics.

In my experience the most difficult subject for undergrads is vector calculus (div, grad, curl, and the integral laws by Gauss and Stokes). For this you usually find good summaries in textbooks on theoretical electromagnetism or fluid dynamics. A very good one is found in

A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics, vol. II (Fluid Dynamics)

You don't need to learn fluid dynamics to just read and understand this chapter on vector calculus. It's also not mathematically rigoros, but great to learn it for use in theoretical physics.

vanhees71 said:

There are two books by Hassani, the more introductory "Mathematical Methods for Students of Physics and Related Fields", and the more advanced "Mathematical Physics: A Modern Introduction to Its Foundations".

I don't know the former book, but if it is as good as the latter on the undergrad level, I'd think its one of the best sources to recommend!

Related to What do you think of 'Methods of Theoretical Physics' ?

1. What is the purpose of studying Methods of Theoretical Physics?

The purpose of studying Methods of Theoretical Physics is to develop a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the physical world. It also provides a framework for solving complex problems and making predictions about physical phenomena.

2. What are the main topics covered in Methods of Theoretical Physics?

The main topics covered in Methods of Theoretical Physics include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and thermodynamics. These topics form the foundation of modern physics and are essential for understanding the behavior of matter and energy.

3. How is Methods of Theoretical Physics different from experimental physics?

Methods of Theoretical Physics involves using mathematical models and equations to describe and predict physical phenomena, whereas experimental physics involves conducting experiments to gather data and test theories. Theoretical physics is more focused on developing a theoretical framework, while experimental physics is more concerned with practical applications.

4. Do I need a strong background in mathematics to study Methods of Theoretical Physics?

Yes, a strong background in mathematics is essential for studying Methods of Theoretical Physics. It requires a solid understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. These mathematical tools are necessary for formulating and solving complex physical problems.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a background in Methods of Theoretical Physics?

Individuals with a background in Methods of Theoretical Physics can pursue careers in various fields, including research, academia, and industry. They can work as theoretical physicists, research scientists, data analysts, or professors. They may also find opportunities in fields such as engineering, finance, and computer science.