What do you think about my class choice for next semester?

In summary, the individual has registered for Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics, Mechanical Design I, and Vibrations in Mechanical Design. They are unsure if this will be too challenging, but believe Vibrations is important and another option could be FEA. They are currently enjoying Thermodynamics and think Heat Transfer and Fluid Mechanics will have overlapping concepts, making it easier to understand. They are also planning on working 15 hours a week and are interested in product development for their future career. The individual is not sure what specific field of product development, but is considering engines, aero structures, energy systems, cooling systems, and spaceships. Mechanical Design I is expected to be an entry level course and the individual has a natural aptitude for mechanical devices.
jklops686
I registered for Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics, Mechanical Design I, and Vibrations in Mechanical design. I'm not sure if this is going to be too rough or not. Vibrations is an elective and I think it is important. Another option would be FEA. I'm in thermodynamics now and I enjoy it. I'm thinking that fluid mechanics and heat transfer will be similar in ways, so although they are tough, I will do well because I enjoy it (hopefully). What do you think? Any experience based thoughts would be great. I don't want to set my self up for failure.
I'll be working 15 hrs a week too, cutting down from 20. I'm not a genius. I'm having a rough semester now but I'm bored with a lot of it. (circuits, statistics, mechanics of materials, thermodynamics)

I know people are going to ask what I plan on doing for the rest of my life. I know some kind of product development. Maybe engines (electric ICE, or jet), aero structures, energy systems, cooling systems, spaceships...I really don't know. : )

Engineering news on Phys.org
Heat Transfer and Fluid Dynamics will have several overlapping concepts, so that will be nice to have together. They can be pretty tough to grasp conceptually, though, so it's tough to say whether you'll have a tough time, or whether you'll be ok.

Mechanical Design I, depending on your curriculum, probably won't be too hard (entry level course), and if you have any natural aptitude for mechanical devices, you should not have too much trouble. I loved all my mechanical design classes. Gears, pulleys, bolts/nuts, fatigue, practical application of stress and strain, pressure, etc. Fun and practical concepts.

Vibrations can be tough. I had a dual major in Aeronautical and Mechanical, and my vibrations course was focuses on airfoils and fuselage structures. It was a tough course with lots of math; but it was very interesting.

You'll have a decent workload, and it might get pretty tough at some points, depending on how the courses are structured (and how the schedules overlap with exams, homework, labs, etc) but it's a reasonable semester as far as I can tell. I had several just like in when I was in school.

Related to What do you think about my class choice for next semester?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing classes for next semester?

When choosing classes for next semester, it is important to consider your academic goals, your major requirements, and your personal interests. You should also take into account your schedule and any potential conflicts with other classes or commitments.

2. How many classes should I take next semester?

The number of classes you should take next semester will depend on your personal circumstances and academic goals. It is important to balance your workload and make sure you have enough time to devote to each class. It is also recommended to consult with your academic advisor for guidance.

3. Is it better to take a mix of difficult and easy classes or focus on one subject?

This will depend on your learning style and personal preference. Some students prefer to have a mix of difficult and easy classes to balance their workload, while others prefer to focus on one subject at a time. It is important to consider your strengths and weaknesses and choose a class schedule that works best for you.

4. How can I make sure my class choices align with my future career goals?

It is important to research the requirements and recommended courses for your desired career path. You can also consult with your academic advisor or career center for guidance on which classes may be beneficial for your future career goals.

5. Are there any classes that are highly recommended or popular among students?

This will vary depending on the university and major, but you can ask other students or research online to see which classes are highly recommended or popular. It is important to keep in mind that what works for others may not necessarily work for you, so make sure to choose classes that align with your goals and interests.