What Do Velocity-Time and Acceleration-Time Graphs Look Like in Circular Motion?

In summary, circular motion creates sine or cosine wave patterns in the velocity-time and acceleration-time graphs due to the constantly changing direction of motion. The velocity is related to the displacement, while the acceleration is related to the change in velocity. The velocity will be 0 when the displacement is 0, but also when it is at a maximum or minimum due to the changing direction of motion. Keep exploring and asking questions about physics!
Illusion3
Hi guys,

I am very new to the forum (and physics itself). I have only started my O'levels but am a deep physics enthusiast for interesting problems.

When you have circular motion, and you take the displacement from a point on the circle, what type of:

Velocity-time graph
Acceleration-time graph

does it create? I know it has something to do with the graphs creating sine or cosine waves but am not sure why and for which one.

I know it accelerates - and since the speed is the same, wouldn't the velocity be 0 because it goes in circles and ultimately the displacement is 0?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org

I can provide some insight into the velocity-time and acceleration-time graphs for circular motion.

Firstly, in circular motion, the velocity and acceleration are constantly changing because the direction of motion is changing. This means that the velocity-time and acceleration-time graphs will not be straight lines, but rather curves.

In terms of the shape of the curves, the velocity-time graph for circular motion will be a sine or cosine wave. This is because the velocity is directly related to the displacement, which is the distance from a point on the circle to the center. As the object moves around the circle, its displacement and velocity will change periodically, creating a wave-like pattern.

The acceleration-time graph for circular motion will also be a sine or cosine wave, but with a phase shift of 90 degrees from the velocity-time graph. This is because the acceleration is related to the change in velocity, and since the velocity is at a maximum or minimum when the displacement is at 0, the acceleration will be 0 at those points. This results in a shift in the wave pattern.

Furthermore, you are correct in saying that the velocity will be 0 when the displacement is 0, as the object is momentarily at rest at those points. However, the velocity will also be 0 when the displacement is at a maximum or minimum, as the direction of motion is changing and the velocity is changing from positive to negative or vice versa. This is why the velocity-time graph is a wave pattern rather than a straight line.

I hope this helps to clarify the relationship between circular motion and the velocity-time and acceleration-time graphs. Keep asking interesting questions and exploring the fascinating world of physics!

Related to What Do Velocity-Time and Acceleration-Time Graphs Look Like in Circular Motion?

1. What is a circular motion time graph?

A circular motion time graph is a graphical representation of the position of an object as it moves in a circular path over a period of time. It shows the relationship between the distance traveled and the time taken for an object to complete one full revolution around the circle.

2. How is circular motion time graph different from a regular time graph?

The main difference between a circular motion time graph and a regular time graph is that the former shows the position of an object in a circular path, while the latter shows the position of an object in a straight line. In a circular motion time graph, the distance traveled is measured along the circumference of the circle, whereas in a regular time graph, it is measured along a straight line.

3. What does the slope of a circular motion time graph represent?

The slope of a circular motion time graph represents the speed or velocity of the object in circular motion. A steeper slope indicates a higher speed, while a flatter slope indicates a lower speed. The slope can also be used to calculate the acceleration of the object.

4. How can we use a circular motion time graph to determine the period of an object's motion?

The period of an object's motion is the time taken for the object to complete one full revolution around the circular path. This can be determined by finding the time interval between two consecutive points on the circular motion time graph where the object is at the same position. The period can also be calculated by dividing the total time shown on the x-axis by the number of complete revolutions shown on the graph.

5. What other information can we obtain from a circular motion time graph?

In addition to the period and speed of an object, a circular motion time graph can also provide information about the direction of motion, the distance traveled, and the acceleration of the object. It can also be used to identify any changes in speed or direction of the object during its circular motion.