What do I need to put myself in shape for the Putnam competition?

In summary, the best way to prepare for the Putnam contest is to practice with old Putnam problems and focus on writing up solutions perfectly. It is also recommended to look at Terence Tao's book and to join a team that practices Putnam problems. Additionally, brushing up on statistics, pigeonhole principle, counting, and geometry can be helpful for the competition.
Werg22
I'm not sure I even have enough time to prepare (a summer is very short). But still, I want to give myself a shot so I'm asking; what do I need to do good on the Putnam contest? Now I know this may sound like asking a question like "what do I need to one day walk on Mars?". So my real question, would be whether is it possible for me to prepare conveniently for the competition before its being held. I think I am a talented problem solver, and I've had some experience with contest-level problems, but nothing near Putnam of course. If I have the slightest chance of doing well, what would be the things that I need now? I know 99% of it would be practice, but for the remaining 1%, what kind of books or something in the likes should I be looking for?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You might take a look at Terence Tao's book:

http://www.us.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Mathematics/?view=usa&ci=9780199205608

EDIT: Another suggestion is try,

http://www.mathlinks.ro/Forum/

Then go to "International Mathematical Olympiad" link (upper left corner).
Ask your question there.

Last edited by a moderator:
have you tried the higher maths olympiad questions posted on the internet?

our team practices old putnam problems, under the guidance of a professor.

The canonical book is Larson's Problem-Solving Through Problems. But really, the best way to practice is to go through old Putnam problems.

mathwonk said:
our team practices old putnam problems, under the guidance of a professor.

This is good advice, but the practice you get with your teammates will doubtless not be enough.

Anyway, the most important thing to remember for the putnam is that the markers are psychotic, so spend time on your write up.

One perfectly written up problem will be worth 10 points, but two solutions which are close to being right will often be worth 2 points. So if you do half as many questions as you think you can, but write the details perfectly, it will probably be worth it.

Larson's was the book I used recommended to me by a grad/postdoc at the time who was trying to get together a putnam team...see if your school or a local school has a team.

stats/pigeonhole/counting and geometry...would be really helpful.

Related to What do I need to put myself in shape for the Putnam competition?

1. What is the Putnam competition?

The Putnam competition is an annual mathematics competition for undergraduate students in the United States and Canada. It is considered to be one of the most prestigious undergraduate math competitions in the world.

2. What qualifications do I need to participate in the Putnam competition?

To participate in the Putnam competition, you must be a regularly enrolled undergraduate student in a college or university in the United States or Canada. You also must not have received a bachelor's degree before participating in the competition.

3. How should I prepare for the Putnam competition?

To prepare for the Putnam competition, you should have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills. It is recommended to practice solving past Putnam problems and to work with a study group or mentor.

4. Is there a specific format for the Putnam competition?

Yes, the Putnam competition consists of two 3-hour sessions, each with 6 problems. The problems are divided into two categories: A and B, with 3 problems in each category. The competition is usually held on the first Saturday in December.

5. How is the Putnam competition scored?

The problems on the Putnam competition are graded on a scale of 0 to 10, with 10 being the highest score. The total score is determined by adding the scores from the 6 problems in each session. The maximum possible score is 120.