What Do Astronauts Research on the International Space Station?

• Thread starter Tachyonie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iss
In summary, the conversation discusses the daily routine of astronauts on the International Space Station and questions what exactly they are doing and researching. It is mentioned that they are testing space toilets and studying the effects of prolonged spaceflight on the human body. However, there is confusion about the purpose of some missions and whether they are just for show. The ISS has also led to the development of advanced technologies.
Tachyonie
Top of the day to ya,
I monitor the development of the International Space Station and I have some idea of what the daily routine of the crew looks like but I am missing a cruical piece of information which seems to be never mentioned. What exactly are the astronauts doing up there? What do they research? Wikipedia nor Google satisfied me. :(

Cheers

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Tachyonie said:
What exactly are the astronauts doing up there?
Cheers

They're testing out space toilets...gotta make sure those kinda things work properly before heading for Mars you know...otherwise, ...well you know...

:biggrin:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/28/science/space/28nasaw.html

I knew we should have sent a certified plumber up there with these guys.

Last edited:
I don't understand this either. A big deal was made in the Canadian media recently about the latest Canadian astronaut to go up to ISS (on the Soyuz, not the shuttle). His mission was ostensibly to study the effects of prolonged spaceflight on the human body. But if I recall correctly, the duration of this mission is actually shorter than the durations that some of the Russian cosmonauts etc. have been in space in the past. Is it just that the ISS has better equipment for doing these studies? Or are these missions just made up in order to sound good?

The ISS has led to the development of a range of advanced technologies detailed by Nasa here http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/ISSspin.html

Related to What Do Astronauts Research on the International Space Station?

What is the International Space Station (ISS)?

The International Space Station (ISS) is a large spacecraft that orbits around the Earth at an altitude of approximately 250 miles. It is a joint project between several countries, including the United States, Russia, Canada, Japan, and several European countries.

Why was the ISS built?

The ISS was built as a research laboratory and a place for astronauts to live and work in space. It allows scientists and astronauts to conduct experiments in a microgravity environment and study the effects of long-term space travel on the human body.

Who uses the ISS?

The ISS is used by astronauts and scientists from various countries. Currently, the ISS is operated by a partnership between NASA, Roscosmos (Russia's space agency), the European Space Agency, the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, and the Canadian Space Agency.

What types of experiments are conducted on the ISS?

A wide range of experiments are conducted on the ISS, including research in biology, physics, astronomy, and technology. Some examples include studying the effects of microgravity on plant growth, testing new materials for spacecraft, and conducting medical experiments on astronauts.

What are the benefits of the ISS?

The ISS has numerous benefits, including advancing scientific research, testing new technologies, and promoting international collaboration. It also serves as a testing ground for future long-term space missions, such as missions to Mars.