What Distinguishes Exact from Inexact Differentials in Thermodynamics?

• Thread starter krusty the clown
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Differentials
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between an exact and inexact differential, with the example of dEint=dQ+dW in the first law of thermodynamics. It is noted that dQ and dW are inexact differentials because Q and W are not state variables. This means they are represented with a line through the vertical part of the d's. The conversation also mentions the concept of exact differentials, which are expressions of form df where f is a single valued function. It is noted that sometimes expressions like dtheta may look like an exact differential, but are actually not due to the multiple values of the angle function. In summary, the difference between exact and inexact differentials lies in the mathematical feature of whether
krusty the clown
What is the difference between an exact and and inexact differential?
These were introduced in my physics 2 book with the first law of thermodynamics represented by differentials,

dEint= dQ + dW

Then, it has a note that says
"Note that dQ and dW are not true differential quantities because Q and W are not state variables; however dEint is. Because dQ and dW are inexact differentials, they are often represented by the symbols dQ and dW ,both with lines through the vertical part of the d's. Sorry, I it wouldn't let me open the latex instructions.

Thanks- Erik

Physics news on Phys.org
Well,the short version is that
If dU is an exact differential,and U(T,V,N) is the function,then

[tex] dU=\frac{\partial U}{\partial T} dT+\frac{\partial U}{\partial V} dV+\frac{\partial U}{\partial N} dN [/tex] (1)

[itex] \delta Q [/itex] and [itex] \delta L [/itex] are not total differentials,maening the functional dependence of the functions Q and L cannot put us in the position to write an equality similar to (1).I'm sure that every serious thermodynamics text (Callen,Greiner) discusses this mathematical feature.

Daniel.

When I hear that language it makes me think of the following case: an exact differential is an expression of form df where f is a single valued function. another characterization is that a differential is exact if its integral around every closed loop is zero.

sometimes however one encounters expressions like dtheta, where theta of course is the angle function. now since the angle function is multivalued, not single valued, and since the integral of dtheta around the unit circle is 2pi and not zero, dtheta is not exact although it looks like one.

As an ignorant bystander I am going to guess this is also what is going on in your situation. but i mgiht be wrong since i do not understand any of the other words in your post. like "state variable"...

That's merely a convention.Still the mathematics behind 1 forms is essential.Names can change from book to book.

Daniel.

I still don't understand completely, but at this point we are just treating them like exact differentials so it isn't that important right now. I was just a little currious.

Thaks for you help.
Erik

if the integral over every closed loop is zero then they are exact, otherwise not. that's it.

these are sometimes called conservative force fields.

i.e. if that quantity you are calling E(int) cannot change when you traverse a closed path, then it is conservative, and dE(int) is exact.

Related to What Distinguishes Exact from Inexact Differentials in Thermodynamics?

What is the difference between inexact and exact differentials?

Inexact differentials are differentials that cannot be expressed as the total derivative of a function. They are not exact because they depend on the path taken, and not just the starting and ending points. On the other hand, exact differentials are those that can be expressed as the total derivative of a function, and are independent of the path taken.

Why is it important to distinguish between inexact and exact differentials?

It is important to distinguish between inexact and exact differentials because they have different mathematical properties and behave differently in physical systems. Inexact differentials cannot be integrated to determine the total work or energy, while exact differentials can be integrated to determine these quantities.

How do you determine if a differential is exact or inexact?

A differential is exact if it satisfies the condition that its partial derivatives with respect to all variables are continuous and equal. In contrast, a differential is inexact if it does not satisfy this condition. This can be determined by checking the order of the partial derivatives and evaluating them at different points.

Can an inexact differential be converted into an exact one?

Yes, an inexact differential can be converted into an exact one by finding a function whose total derivative is equal to the inexact differential. This function is called an integrating factor and can be used to transform the inexact differential into an exact differential.

How are inexact and exact differentials used in thermodynamics?

Inexact differentials are used to represent quantities that are path-dependent, such as heat and work, in thermodynamic processes. On the other hand, exact differentials are used to represent quantities that are path-independent, such as internal energy and entropy. This allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of thermodynamic systems.