What did you struggle with the most in College?

• Thread starter AnthroMecha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, Physics I has been challenging for me, but I'm confident I'll pass the class. I've found that referencing textbooks and other sources of information has been helpful.
AnthroMecha
I'm about half way through my ME degree and just about to get to the technical ME classes. I've been taking the basics at my local community college to get all the easy stuff out of the way while tuition is cheap. This semester I'm taking Physics I, Cal II, Eng graphics (Pro E), and Gov. Out of these classes I'm struggling a bit with Physics. It's pretty hard, and the professor is a real ball buster. I'm confident I'll pass the class, but it has not been an easy go.

What were the classes you struggled with most?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Circuits, and it wasn't even close.

Mechatronics.

Electricity

Solving 2nd order DEs.

Fourier analysis has been the most useful thing I learned at college. (My line is precision/optical manufacturing).

I left school understanding calculus (like most Engineers I have a set of neurons that differentiate and integrate for me). College just taught me how to write it down.

The most valuable thing for my work life I learned outside college is stats. Every engineer, journalist, teacher, politician, social worker and company director should have a good understanding of basic stats and what is statistically normal.

Electricity and Fluid Mechanics.

I tend to struggle with most classes because they seem like a waste of time and waste of money. I have a hard time constantly reminding myself that I'm paying for the paper in the end and not for the education.

Also, I had a hard time with system dynamics because there are zero proofs/derivations in the book/lectures. If you want to understand anything in that class you must look elsewhere for such information, which is tedious and ends up eating a lot of time. I recommend keeping a good list of books/sources to reference, and make sure they are mostly physics texts because they are most likely to have the information you need.

Curl said:
I tend to struggle with most classes because they seem like a waste of time and waste of money. I have a hard time constantly reminding myself that I'm paying for the paper in the end and not for the education.

Also, I had a hard time with system dynamics because there are zero proofs/derivations in the book/lectures. If you want to understand anything in that class you must look elsewhere for such information, which is tedious and ends up eating a lot of time. I recommend keeping a good list of books/sources to reference, and make sure they are mostly physics texts because they are most likely to have the information you need.

Sheesh man. You really don't get what school is about...

Also, the point of dynamics is to demonstrate how to use a systems approach to kinematics and physics in systems with moving reference frames. Understanding where the derivations comes from is somewhat on your shoulders...

The last suggestion is a very good one though. I kept most of my textbooks for reference later, and I've used many of the several times since.

Travis_King said:
Also, the point of dynamics is to demonstrate how to use a systems approach to kinematics and physics in systems with moving reference frames. Understanding where the derivations comes from is somewhat on your shoulders...

...hence the "struggle" adjective.

Related to What did you struggle with the most in College?

1. What was the most challenging aspect of your college experience?

The most challenging aspect of my college experience was managing my time effectively. With a heavy workload and various extracurricular activities, it was difficult to balance everything and avoid procrastination.

2. Did you face any academic struggles during your time in college?

Yes, I did face some academic struggles during my time in college. Some courses were more challenging than others, and I had to put in extra effort to understand the material and perform well in exams.

3. How did you cope with the pressure and stress of college?

I coped with the pressure and stress of college by seeking support from friends and family, practicing self-care habits such as exercise and meditation, and seeking help from academic resources such as tutoring or counseling services.

4. Did you have to overcome any personal struggles while in college?

Yes, I did have to overcome some personal struggles while in college. These included homesickness, financial challenges, and adjusting to a new environment. But with the support of my peers and mentors, I was able to overcome these obstacles.

5. Looking back, what advice would you give to students who are struggling in college?

My advice would be to not be afraid to ask for help when needed and to prioritize self-care. It's also important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. Remember that it's okay to make mistakes and that struggles are a part of the learning experience.