What Determines the Jordan Canonical Form of a Matrix?

In summary, the Jordan Canonical Form is a way of representing a matrix in a specific form that allows for easier analysis and computation. It is important because it can be used to solve a variety of problems in linear algebra, such as finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, determining the similarity of matrices, and solving systems of differential equations. The Jordan Canonical Form is calculated by first finding the eigenvalues of the matrix, then constructing a Jordan matrix using the eigenvalues, and finally finding the corresponding eigenvectors for each eigenvalue. However, not all matrices can be put into this form. Only square matrices with complex eigenvalues can be put into the Jordan Canonical Form. Some benefits of using this form include simplifying calculations, understanding properties and behavior
Ressurection

Homework Statement

Let A be an nxn matrix (of real or complex components) and

[tex]J=\left(\begin{array}{c} λ & 1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & λ & 1 & 0\\
& & ... & \\
0 & 0 & λ & 1\\
0 & 0 & 0 & λ
&\end{array}\right) \,with\, λ \in ℂ[/tex]

Show that there is
[tex]S = \left(\begin{array}{c} v1 & v2 & ... & v_n &\end{array}\right)
\,with\, v1, v2, ...,v_n \inℂ [/tex]
such that A = SJS-1 if and only if:
(A - λI)v1 = 0
(A - λI)vi+1 = vi , for i=1,2,...,n-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first step was A = SJS-1 ⇔ AS = SJ
Now, developing the right side I get SJ = [λv1 , v1 + λv2 ... vn-1 + λvn ]

So, column by column I get: Av1 = λv1 ⇔ (A-λ)v1 = 0
Av2 = v1 + λv2 ⇔ (A-λ)v2 = v1

and extending, I get
(A - λI)vi+1 = vi , for i=1,2,...,n-1

My only question is, does this solve the problem? I thought that to prove a ⇔ b , I had to prove a [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] b and b [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] a, but it seems to me that this proves both ways.

Physics news on Phys.org
Am I missing something?

Thank you for your post. Your approach to the problem is correct and you have indeed proved both directions of the statement. To show that a statement is true if and only if another statement is true, you only need to prove one direction and the other direction automatically follows. So your solution is complete and correct.

One way to think about it is that if we start with A and construct S and J as given, then we will end up with (A-λI)v1 = 0 and (A-λI)vi+1 = vi for i = 1,2,...,n-1. Conversely, if we start with (A-λI)v1 = 0 and (A-λI)vi+1 = vi for i = 1,2,...,n-1 and construct S and J as given, we will end up with A. Therefore, the two statements are equivalent and proving one direction is sufficient.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to What Determines the Jordan Canonical Form of a Matrix?

1. What is the Jordan Canonical Form?

The Jordan Canonical Form is a way of representing a matrix in a specific form that allows for easier analysis and computation.

2. Why is the Jordan Canonical Form important?

The Jordan Canonical Form is important because it can be used to solve a variety of problems in linear algebra, such as finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, determining the similarity of matrices, and solving systems of differential equations.

3. How is the Jordan Canonical Form calculated?

The Jordan Canonical Form is calculated by first finding the eigenvalues of the matrix, then constructing a Jordan matrix using the eigenvalues, and finally finding the corresponding eigenvectors for each eigenvalue.

4. Can any matrix be put into Jordan Canonical Form?

No, not all matrices can be put into Jordan Canonical Form. Only square matrices with complex eigenvalues can be put into this form.

5. What are the benefits of using the Jordan Canonical Form?

Using the Jordan Canonical Form can simplify calculations and make it easier to understand the properties and behavior of a given matrix. It can also help identify patterns and relationships between matrices. Additionally, it is often used in applications such as control theory and physics.