What Determines the Electric Field at Points Along an EM Wave?

In summary, the electric field on an electromagnetic (EM) wave is a measure of the strength and direction of the electric force acting on charged particles as the wave travels through space. It is created by the oscillation of electric charges and is perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation. When encountering matter, the electric field can interact with charged particles and be shielded or blocked by conductive materials.
Revvi

Homework Statement

There is an EM wave (http://www.geo.mtu.edu/rs/back/spectrum/) that has theoretical points all along the thick line that runs along both the electric/magnetic waves. What could you say about the electric field at these points?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

My possible choices are that the E. fields are zero, have a constant value, or are proportional to the length of the B field arrows. I think the E fields will be 0 but I'm unsure why that would be the case.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone offer any insight or explanation?

Hello there! I can offer some insight into this question. The electric field at these points can vary depending on the specific wavelength and frequency of the EM wave. Generally, the electric field is perpendicular to the magnetic field and they both oscillate in the same direction as the wave propagates.

At the theoretical points along the thick line, the electric field can have different values. It can be zero if the wave is at a node (point of zero amplitude) or it can have a constant value if the wave is at an anti-node (point of maximum amplitude). In other cases, the electric field can be proportional to the length of the magnetic field arrows, as you mentioned. This is known as the Poynting vector, which represents the direction and magnitude of the energy flow in an EM wave.

In summary, the electric field at these points can vary depending on the specific characteristics of the EM wave. I hope this helps clarify things for you! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to What Determines the Electric Field at Points Along an EM Wave?

What is an electric field on an EM wave?

The electric field on an electromagnetic (EM) wave is a measure of the strength and direction of the electric force acting on charged particles as the wave travels through space. It is one of the two components of an EM wave, the other being the magnetic field.

How is the electric field created on an EM wave?

The electric field on an EM wave is created by the oscillation of electric charges. When an electric charge is accelerated or decelerated, it creates a disturbance in the electric field, which propagates as an EM wave.

What is the direction of the electric field on an EM wave?

The direction of the electric field on an EM wave is perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation. This means that the electric field oscillates back and forth in a direction that is perpendicular to the direction in which the wave is traveling.

How does the electric field on an EM wave interact with matter?

When an EM wave encounters matter, the electric field interacts with the charged particles in the material. This interaction can cause the particles to vibrate, creating heat or light, or it can cause the particles to move, producing an electric current.

Can the electric field on an EM wave be shielded or blocked?

Yes, the electric field on an EM wave can be shielded or blocked by certain materials that conduct electricity well, such as metals. This is because the free electrons in the material can move in response to the electric field and cancel it out, preventing it from reaching the other side.