What determines our hair color?

In summary, hair color is determined by several genes and it is not unusual to have a mixture of hair colors or differ from your parents. It is common for hair color to change as a person ages. Hormones may also play a role in hair color changes.
Casio
I woould like to know what determines our hair color ? Its not only on my head, but even on my face, chin-cheeks (beard), my arms, my body, that that color is is not brown, there are quite a lot of (yellow+red=orange) hairs growing. I was born to have brown hair, differing from my parents and any members in my family. Please tell me, you nice biologists if I need to see my doctor for more advice and even any diagnoses if necessary ? I am really worried. :frown:

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Hair color is determined by several genes, so it's not at all unusual to get a mixture of hair colors, or to even differ quite a bit from your parents. It's even pretty common for someone's hair color to change as they get older. So, no need to worry about the color of your hair being different in your beard than on your head. I've noticed a lot of men tend to have redder beards than the hair on their head. It might also just be the way the light reflects off shorter hair than longer hair, or the amount of sun exposure bleaching some hair.

You speak like a doctor :biggrin:
Thank you, Moonbear.

Moonbear said:
It's even pretty common for someone's hair color to change as they get older.

very common when children are born with blonde hair then go to brown...or even black hair as an infant then lighter as they grow up...don't hormones also play a role in hair color change?

This "blond as children, darker as adult" is heritable, so there must be genes for it (the whole process). I don't know the process, but it has to work in both men and women, so I wonder if hormones would serve.

Related to What determines our hair color?

1. What is the genetic basis for hair color?

The genetic basis for hair color involves the presence of two pigments, eumelanin and pheomelanin, which are produced by specialized cells called melanocytes. The amount and type of these pigments determine the color of our hair.

2. Can environmental factors affect our hair color?

Yes, environmental factors such as exposure to sunlight and certain chemicals can affect the production of melanin and therefore alter our hair color. For example, prolonged exposure to sunlight can cause bleaching of hair due to the breakdown of melanin.

3. Is hair color determined by a single gene or multiple genes?

Hair color is determined by multiple genes, with some genes having a stronger influence on the production of melanin than others. This is why there is a wide range of hair colors seen in humans.

4. How does age affect our hair color?

As we age, the production of melanin decreases, which can result in hair turning gray or white. This is due to a decrease in the activity of melanocytes, as well as a decrease in the size and number of these cells.

5. Can hair color change over time?

Yes, hair color can change over time due to both genetic and environmental factors. For example, some people may experience a change in hair color as they age, while others may see a change in hair color due to exposure to certain chemicals or medications.