What could be causing random errors on a Windows XP computer?

In summary: See if you've been having any problems described here - How to Diagnose, Check, and Test for Bad Memory.It could be due to newly installed software which is defective, did the machine have any new software installed before this started happening?It might also be a side effect of some kind of ad-ware that wasn't intentionally installed.Try booting it in 'safe mode', this will start the machine in a configuration that has minimal number of background processes running.If the problem goes away, then it's occurring because of some background process that isn't necessary.So then you have to look at the processes which start up with a normal boot and figure out what one is the problem is by process
Euler2718
So my dad was using his dinosaur of a computer today and this error message comes up. I tried googling the code/address given, but I can only find a match for the code not the address.

Any insight to this would be nice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-27_18-16-01.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-27_18-16-01.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 585
Computer science news on Phys.org
The address is likely a memory address that can change. It might be a bad memory cell but that's a guess.

What were some of the links that you found and what have you tried so far?

Borg said:
The address is likely a memory address that can change. It might be a bad memory cell but that's a guess.

What were some of the links that you found and what have you tried so far?

The only thing I could find that was semi-relevant was https://forums.techguy.org/threads/an-unexpected-error-has-occurred-exception-code-3221225477.911567/ . It doesn't apepar that individual had much luck in his tries though. This computer doesn't have Virgin Media though. I haven't tried anything because I'm not sure what to try.

It could be due to newly installed software which is defective, did the machine have any new software installed before this started happening?
It might also be a side effect of some kind of ad-ware that wasn't intentionally installed.
Try booting it in 'safe mode', this will start the machine in a configuration that has minimal number of background processes running.
If the problem goes away, then it's occurring because of some background process that isn't necessary.
So then you have to look at the processes which start up with a normal boot and figure out what one is the problem is by process of elimination.
If you boot in safe mode and the problem still is there, then it;s more likely a hardware issue.

Borg said:
Give this one a shot - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...hat-this/5ee54a58-6ad7-4601-980a-ff008668ea6b. It's related to a user that is having issues while logging in. I don't know when your error occurred but, if it's a memory card issue like I suspect, it may help narrow it down. I'll have to refresh my memory for how to check a memory card for bad sectors.

BTW, when did the error occur?

It happened a little after logging in.

Borg said:
See if you've been having any problems described here - How to Diagnose, Check, and Test for Bad Memory.

I'm starting to believe this could be the path to follow.

rootone said:
It could be due to newly installed software which is defective, did the machine have any new software installed before this started happening?
It might also be a side effect of some kind of ad-ware that you didn't intentionally install.
Try booting it in 'safe mode', this will start the machine in a configuration that has minimal number of background processes running.
If the problem goes away, then it's occurring because of some background process that isn't necessary.
So then you have to look at the processes which start up with a normal boot and figure out what one is the problem is by process of elimination.

There isn't any new software on the PC, nor should there be any ad ware. The PC is used very basically and doesn't travel on any shady sites or download much. I'll try the safemode though, just to be safe.

For old machines, its good to blow away the dust inside the case with a can of compressed air. Also try to reseat the cards one at a time then fire it up.

Likes Borg
The Exception Code shown at the bottom of the screen shot is the Decimal representation of Hex C0000005:

//
// MessageId: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
//
// MessageText:
//
// The instruction at "0x%08lx" referenced memory at "0x%08lx". The memory could not be "%s".
//
#define STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION ((NTSTATUS)0xC0000005L) // winnt

As noted by jedishrfu, cleaning and reseating the memory cards is a good first step.

If random errors keep popping up during normal use, from a Command Prompt run "SFC /scannow". This compares the critical operating system files with the original files on the Windows CD and replaces any corrupted files. It doesn't tell you if anything was replaced, so all you can do is use the machine and hope it is 'cured'.

Windows, up thru at least XP, has a quirk that if disk space in the Swap File runs out it will silently fail with no indication why. So if the hard disk is mostly full, make some room on it.

If you're still getting random errors, get a copy of Memtest86 or Memtest86+ and let it run overnight with all of its tests enabled.
If Memtest86 reports repeated errors at a few memory addresses, it's probably failed memory.

If errors at scattered addresses and/or random bits are reported,
the Power Supply or the Motherboard are prime suspects. Motherboards, and especially Power Supplies, have a limited life. Power Supplies are suspect after 3000 to 5000 hours of operation or five years age; Motherboards 'often' last three times as long, or longer.

If Memtest86 reports are no errors,
it may be corrupted software, but Power Supply and Motherboard are still possibilities.

Likes 1oldman2 and jedishrfu

Related to What could be causing random errors on a Windows XP computer?

1. What causes the "Windows XP Unexpected Error" message to appear?

The "Windows XP Unexpected Error" message can appear due to a variety of reasons, such as corrupted system files, outdated drivers, or hardware issues.

2. Is there a way to fix the "Windows XP Unexpected Error" without reinstalling the operating system?

Yes, there are several troubleshooting steps you can try to fix the "Windows XP Unexpected Error," such as running a system file checker, updating drivers, or performing a system restore.

3. Can a virus or malware cause the "Windows XP Unexpected Error"?

Yes, a virus or malware infection can cause the "Windows XP Unexpected Error" to appear. It is essential to regularly scan your computer for viruses and malware and use reliable antivirus software to prevent such issues.

4. How do I prevent the "Windows XP Unexpected Error" from happening again?

To prevent the "Windows XP Unexpected Error," you should regularly update your operating system and drivers, use reputable antivirus software, and be cautious when downloading files or clicking on links to avoid malware infections.

5. Can a hardware issue cause the "Windows XP Unexpected Error" to occur?

Yes, a malfunctioning hardware component, such as a faulty hard drive or RAM, can cause the "Windows XP Unexpected Error." It is advisable to run hardware diagnostics to identify and fix any hardware issues.