What contradictions remain between SR and QM?

• Thread starter thenewmans
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm Sr
In summary: But just to catch the flavor of required assumptions, one of the standard assumptions is that the square of the 4-momentum should be non-negative. Lorentz invariance alone allows also this to be negative, in which case we deal with tachions, i.e., particles that travel only faster than light. Someone might say "Yes, but tachions are inconsistent because ... bla bla bla", but my answer will be "Yes, but your argument also involves some additional assumptions beyond Lorentz invariance".For a counter-example, see also my recent paper that I mentioned above, in which I explicitly formulate QM in a nonlocal but Lorentz-invariant
thenewmans
In your view, what contradictions remain? My guess is some might say none since entanglement can’t be used for FTL communication. Still others might say something (wave collapse and such) goes nondeterministic (FTL or back in time) between entangled particles so there is still a conflict. I’m sure that’s not all there is to it. What are your views?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is anything, as QFT entirely incorporates SR.

tim_lou said:
I don't think there is anything, as QFT entirely incorporates SR.
But does QFT entirely incorporates QM? For example, what about the particle-position operator in QFT?
I think it can be incorporated too, provided that QM itself is somewhat reinterpreted as in the paper I mentioned above.

I've heard of the space-time operator formalism but am unaware of its detailed implementations. The website you gave seems to be an interesting read. For me, the standard field formalism is written entirely in a Lorentz invariant form, I don't see any obvious contradictions with it. When you say particle-position operator, do you mean ψ and ψ† ? These transform appropriately under Lorentz transformation and I don't see any problem with it.

Let me see if I can put it another way. So far, every legitimate QM interpretation I’ve tried to understand breaks locality in some way. (I need to learn more about QFT.) Some effect either propagates instantly between entangled particles or travels back in time to affect the source of the entangled particles. My understanding is that SR depends on locality and causality. So doesn’t QM contradict SR?

Demystifier, thanks. But I am not equipped to digest it. Thankfully it’s short and I am reading it all.

thenewmans said:
But I am not equipped to digest it.
Can you explain why?

thenewmans said:
My understanding is that SR depends on locality and causality. So doesn’t QM contradict SR?
I would not say that SR depends on locality and causality. I would say that SR depends on invariance with respect to Lorentz transformations. In this sense, nonlocality and violation of causality may still be compatible with SR. In particular, motion faster than light, by itself, is compatible with SR.

tim_lou said:
When you say particle-position operator, do you mean ψ and ψ† ?
No. I mean a relativistic generalization of the particle-position operator in nonrelativistic QM.

Demystifier said:
Can you explain why?

Demystifier, I'm not a QM guy. I'm not even a physics guy. I just like trying to understand this stuff. The math and Greek letters are beyond me. If I can't type it in Excel, I'm lost. ;) Maybe some day.

thenewmans said:
Demystifier, I'm not a QM guy. I'm not even a physics guy. I just like trying to understand this stuff. The math and Greek letters are beyond me. If I can't type it in Excel, I'm lost. ;) Maybe some day.
I see. In this case, you may visit my blog, in which some main ideas of quantum mechanics and its Bohmian interpretation are explained for non-physicists in terms of everyday analogies.

Demystifier said:
I see. In this case, you may visit my blog, in which some main ideas of quantum mechanics and its Bohmian interpretation are explained for non-physicists in terms of everyday analogies.

Actually I have and I love it! A very nice twist!

Demystifier said:
I would not say that SR depends on locality and causality. I would say that SR depends on invariance with respect to Lorentz transformations. In this sense, nonlocality and violation of causality may still be compatible with SR. In particular, motion faster than light, by itself, is compatible with SR.

How so? Can you explain it? I though that invariance with respect to Lorentz transformation imposed causality and locality

Last edited:
QuantumDevil said:
I though that invariance with respect to Lorentz transformation imposed causality and locality
Only if you make some additional assumptions. The assumption of the Lorentz invariance alone does not impose causality and locality. Show me any concrete derivation of causality and locality and I will tell you what are the underlying additional assumptions.

Demystifier said:
Only if you make some additional assumptions. .

Such as?

QuantumDevil said:
Such as?
As I already said, show me any concrete derivation and I will ...

But just to catch the flavor of required assumptions, one of the standard assumptions is that the square of the 4-momentum should be non-negative. Lorentz invariance alone allows also this to be negative, in which case we deal with tachions, i.e., particles that travel only faster than light. Someone might say "Yes, but tachions are inconsistent because ... bla bla bla", but my answer will be "Yes, but your argument also involves some additional assumptions beyond Lorentz invariance".

For a counter-example, see also my recent paper that I mentioned above, in which I explicitly formulate QM in a nonlocal but Lorentz-invariant manner.

Last edited:

Related to What contradictions remain between SR and QM?

What is the difference between Special Relativity and Quantum Mechanics?

The main difference between Special Relativity (SR) and Quantum Mechanics (QM) is the scale at which they operate. SR deals with objects at a macroscopic level, while QM deals with objects at a microscopic level. SR explains the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, while QM explains the behavior of subatomic particles.

How does Special Relativity account for the speed of light being constant?

Special Relativity states that the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference. This means that no matter how fast an observer is moving or in which direction, the speed of light will always be measured as the same value. This is a fundamental principle of SR and has been confirmed by numerous experiments.

What is the wave-particle duality principle in Quantum Mechanics?

The wave-particle duality principle is a key concept in QM that states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This means that particles can have properties of both waves, such as interference patterns, and particles, such as having a specific location and momentum. This principle helps to explain many phenomena observed in QM.

Do Special Relativity and Quantum Mechanics contradict each other?

While SR and QM may seem to contradict each other, they are both well-established theories that accurately describe different aspects of the universe. SR explains the behavior of objects at high speeds, while QM explains the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. Both theories have been extensively tested and have been shown to be valid within their respective domains.

What are some proposed theories that could reconcile the contradictions between SR and QM?

One proposed theory is the theory of Quantum Gravity, which aims to merge the principles of QM and SR to create a more comprehensive understanding of the universe. Another theory is the Many-Worlds Interpretation, which suggests that every possible outcome of an event exists in a different universe. However, these theories are still being researched and are not yet widely accepted by the scientific community.