What Causes the Spikes in X-ray Spectra?

In summary, the conversation discusses X-ray emission when an electron beam is fired at a tungsten target. The confusion arises when looking at the graph of Intensity versus wavelength, which shows a curve with spikes. These spikes are caused by electrons penetrating deep into the target atoms and causing energy levels to rise, releasing excess energy as photons. This process is similar to optical spectra, but with greater energies involved. The spikes are characteristic of the target atoms and the smooth curve is due to bremmstrahlung.
Badrakhandama
Hello,

I have studied X-ray emission when an electron beam is fired at a tungsten target - But when I was presented with the graph of Intensity versus wavelength, I was confused...

I saw a curve, and on it there were spikes. What are these spikes, and why are they caused?

Something to do with supersposition?

Thanks In Advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Most interesting! I never heard of this before. But a Google search for
x-ray emission spectrum
turns up some spectra and explanations. I found this one
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:iImAsSNxwOYJ:www.iupac.org/publications/analytical_compendium/Cha10sec212.pdf+x-ray+emission+spectrum&hl=en&gl=ca&sig=AHIEtbQ-9jo-NS86kPmazM8ullZOjbtklA
particularly interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
The smooth curve is due to bremmstrahlung,the electrons radiating energy as a result of being decelerated on striking the tungsten target.The spikes are caused by some electrons penetrating deep into the target atoms and raising electrons from shells to higher energy levels with the electrons then jumping back and releasing their excess energy as photons.This mechanism is similar to that responsible for optical spectra etc but the energies involved are greater.The spikes are characteristic of the target atoms.

Related to What Causes the Spikes in X-ray Spectra?

1. What is a "Confused X-ray spectrum"?

A "Confused X-ray spectrum" refers to an X-ray spectrum that is difficult to interpret due to overlapping or distorted peaks.

2. What causes a "Confused X-ray spectrum"?

A "Confused X-ray spectrum" can be caused by several factors, including impurities in the sample, experimental errors, or complex chemical compositions.

3. How can a "Confused X-ray spectrum" be resolved?

To resolve a "Confused X-ray spectrum", further analysis and data processing techniques such as deconvolution or background subtraction may be necessary.

4. Is a "Confused X-ray spectrum" a common issue in X-ray spectroscopy?

While not uncommon, a "Confused X-ray spectrum" is not necessarily a frequent issue in X-ray spectroscopy. It may depend on the sample being analyzed and the quality of the experimental setup.

5. Can a "Confused X-ray spectrum" provide useful information?

Despite its challenges, a "Confused X-ray spectrum" can still provide valuable information about the sample's chemical composition and structure, especially with the use of advanced analysis techniques.